Form of Employment: Full-time position
Starting Date: 1 January 2021
Duration: Until May 2022
Location: Beirut, Lebanon, with in-country travel
Deadline: 16 November 2020, 12:00 pm Lebanon time
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
Since 2016, DRI has been working with Lebanese civil society organisations and government representatives at the local and national level to strengthen decentralisation in line with good governance principles. The basis for our actions in this regard is explained in our publications.
In line with our belief that democracies are built on the premise that informed citizens actively participate in politics, and who are vigilant in the defence of open, accountable institutions that work for people, our interventions seek to enable multiple actors to come together to express and exchange views and positions on relevant policy issues to develop joint responses.
Through DRI’s work with local government, ours approach has centred on engaging youth in local governance processes and reforms, supporting youth to be engaged in political decision-making, and building trust between youth, government, and other citizen groups. In 2021, DRI will begin a new project electing and training youth councils with Partner municipalities/ Union of Municipalities (UoMs). The objective of the project is to strengthen the capacity of youth and refugees to engage in effective dialogue and social participation initiatives with government, civil society, and community members, including on how to participate and shape local democracy.
DRI is currently recruiting a full-time employee for the position of MEL (Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning) and Project Officer for its country office in Beirut, Lebanon. The MEL & Project Officer will mainly be responsible for designing, monitoring, and evaluating projects implemented in Lebanon. This position also includes project implementation and Gender and Diversity mainstreaming responsibilities.
Your duties and responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of DRI’s Country Representative in Lebanon, and in close coordination with other team members and DRI HQ’s MEL Focal Point, you will:
Project MEL Responsibilities:
- Develop MEL frameworks for DRI’s Lebanon projects to assess projects effectiveness and report on DRI’s impact in Lebanon;
- Support the Project Coordinator in the implementation of project activities, such as events, workshops, trainings, and publications;
- Review donor reporting, project concept notes, activity reports and provide technical input for high-quality activity implementation in line with DRI’s overall MEL framework;
- Lead the implementation of MEL project check-in points including proposal design workshops, project kick-off/inception workshops, mid-term reviews, final evaluations, lessons learnt;
- Develop, pilot, implement, and periodically revise MEL data collection and project tools such as Work Plan/MEL plans along with an Indicators Tracker, baselines, needs assessments, pre-/ post-tests, feedback forms, interviews etc.;
- Ensure ongoing accurate data collection against DRI standards and storing of MEL data collected during the project;
- Work closely with, and coach colleagues and partners to ensure full consistency with DRI MEL standards and requirements;
- Coordinate the recruitment of external MEL experts such as for final project evaluations;
- Act as a focal point for MEL in the DRI Lebanon Office and xchange lessons learnt with MEL Focal Points across the organisation to promote learning and knowledge exchange, including delivery of in-house sessions as and when needed;
- Work with DRI Lebanon’s Finance Unit on MEL budgeting and Gender & Diversity budgeting according to DRI standards and requirements;
- Act as a gender and diversity focal point in the Lebanon Country Office to ensure gender- and diversity-sensitive project activities according to DRI and donor requirements;
- Ensure that sex-disaggregated data and gender & diversity considerations are mainstreamed throughout DRI Lebanon MEL frameworks;
- Provide support to the programme team on project design to position DRI in the democracy support community in Lebanon and globally.
Qualifications we require:
- University degree in social science, international development, statistics, or other relevant fields;
- At least 3 years of work experience in the international development sector and/or policy related work in a MEL/project implementation capacity;
- Demonstrated experience in designing and implementing MEL frameworks and tools;
- Outstanding writing and reporting skills, with a strong sense of structure and accuracy;
- Familiarity with programme development and strategic outreach;
- Understanding of challenges of doing MEL in democracy support programming is an asset;
- Background in qualitative research is required and in quantitative is desired;
- Proficiency in IT, ability to create templates in Word and do tabulations in Excel;
- Good communication and negotiation skills and ability to work as part of a culturally diverse team and under pressure;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application, consisting of (1) a Cover Letter, (2) your CV, and (3) an array of writing samples to email@example.com. Please include “MEL & Project Officer – Lebanon” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity.
Closing date for applications is 16 November 2020, 12:00 pm Lebanon time.
DRI is committed to diversity and does not discriminate in employment based upon gender (including pregnancy), race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, ability, socio-economic status, or any other status protected by the laws in the locations where we operate.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10