Position Title: MEL Consultant for Final Project Evaluation (Pakistan)
Form of Employment: Short-term consultancy
Starting Date: 1 January 2019 – 15 February 2019
Duration: 12 days
Location: Islamabad / Pakistan, with possible travel to the provinces
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
With support from the German Federal Foreign Office, DRI Pakistan is implementing a democracy support project aiming to support Pakistan’s state institutions, National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs) and civil society to formulate, implement and advocate for priority human rights and good governance.
DRI is currently recruiting a Short-Term MEL (Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning) Consultant to design and conduct a Final Project Evaluation of its project implemented by its Country Office in Islamabad, Pakistan.
Your duties and responsibilities:
Key purpose of the assignment:
The final project evaluation’s purpose is to document learning, gauge effectiveness of DRI’s programming approach and activity implementation as well as assess the current M&E system in place. In particular, the final project evaluation will: (1) focus on assessing the project’s performance against its main objectives (impact/outcome/output evaluation), and (2) review and evaluate how the project was implemented (process evaluation).
Under the supervision of DRI’s Country Representative and in close coordination with other team members and DRI HQ’s MEL Focal Point:
- Develop a methodology for the Final Project Evaluation of a DRI project;
- Review the M&E framework, M&E project management tools (M&E Plan and Indicators Tracker), activity formats (big high-level events; small group briefings, civil society meetings); M&E data collection tools (pre-/post-tests, feedback forms), project documents etc. of a DRI project in order to make an assessment of the overall impact of DRI’s project in Pakistan as well as its relevance, effectiveness, efficiency, and sustainability (DAC criteria); In particular:
- Asses the robustness of DRI’s programme approach and its strategic engagements as a small international organization with good technical comparative advantages.
- Asses how key project activities like events, media engagement, and briefings etc. added value and how can they be improved to enhance DRI’s influence;
- Hold interviews with relevant DRI staff to understand DRI’s approach to this project, the main challenges faced and how they were addressed;
- Hold interviews and/or focus group discussions with participants of DRI’s activities to collect evidence/beneficiary feedback for DRI’s final project report;
- Formulate actionable MEL lessons learned for DRI, both on the project and organisational level, aiming at the improvement of DRI’s future project interventions and underlying MEL processes;
- Other relevant duties, as required.
- Provide an evaluation report and present it to and discuss with DRI staff.
Qualifications we require:
- University degree in political or social science, international development, or other relevant fields;
- At least 5 years of work experience as a MEL consultant in the international development sector and/or policy related field;
- Demonstrated experience in evaluating programmes, including feedback on M&E frameworks, processes, and tools, and providing lessons learned;
- Understanding of challenges of doing MEL in democracy support programming is an asset;
- Proficient IT skills, able to create templates in word and excel;
- Good communication and negotiation skills and ability to work as part of a culturally diverse team and under pressure;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Urdu.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Pakistan – MEL Consultant Final Project Evaluation” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 19 December 2018. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10