Looking for: Municipal Bylaws Expert – Municipal Youth Councils
Form of Employment: Short-term Consultancy
Contract Period: Until December 2021
Starting Date: April 2021
Location: Lebanon (home-based)
Closing of applications: 23 April 2021, 14:00 PM local time
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
In the framework of its Lebanon projects “Social Participation and Social Engagement by Young People: Electing and Training Youth Councils”, funded by GIZ, and “Supporting Decentralisation – Phase III: Accountable, Inclusive and Effective Governance in Lebanon”, funded by the German Federal Foreign Office, DRI is working with Lebanese civil society organisations and public officials to promote good governance principles. The projects aim to engage youth in local governance processes and reforms, supporting the engagement of youth in political decision-making, and building trust between youth, government, and other citizen groups.
DRI will support the election of three Youth Councils and provide continuous capacity-building in partnership with a Municipality or Union of Municipalities in three Lebanese regions. The purpose is to strengthen social cohesion between local government, youth, and local communities. The creation of youth council structures aims to contribute to local government reform in the long term, and design projects that engage local communities in municipal affairs in a participatory way.
To this end, DRI is looking for a municipal bylaws expert to support the institutionalisation of the Youth Councils. She/he will develop and formulate model bylaws for the municipal Youth Councils and accompany their implementation in three municipal localities.
Duties and responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Country Representative and in close coordination with the Programme Unit, the expert will:
- Design the structure of the municipal Youth Councils;
- Draft model bylaws (in Arabic) for municipal Youth Councils by drawing on municipal laws and good practices both from Lebanon and peer countries;
- Formulate detailed sections about Youth Council meetings, rules of procedure, internal organisation; and provide adequate work templates in annex.
- Attend regular review and coordination meetings with DRI;
- Provide feedback during the of the bylaws by DRI and introduce the necessary revisions and adjustments accordingly.
Timeline and Deliverables:
|1 Day to design the structure of the municipal Youth Councils||May 2021|
|2 Days to draft model bylaws and provide work templates in annex||May 2021|
|1 Day to formulate detailed sections about Youth Council meetings, rules of procedure, internal organisation; and provide adequate work templates in annex||May 2021|
|1 Day to attend review and coordination meeting with DRI and provide feedback during the implementation of the bylaws and necessary revisions.||June 2021|
Qualifications we require:
- University degree in law, political science, social science, policy studies, or equivalent
- At least 8 years of practitioner’s experience working with municipal authorities on participatory methods in Lebanon
- Excellent knowledge of municipal laws in theory and practice
- Experience in drafting bylaws and accompanying the institutionalisation of participatory mechanisms at the local level
- Strong communication skills
- Fluency in Arabic is a requirement
The level of effort for this assignment is five expert days. Travel and accommodation expenses and meals for the expert shall not be covered by DRI.
Interested candidates should send their applications, consisting of (1) a cover letter, (2) their CV, incl. three references, (3) samples of previous publications/bylaws relevant to the assignment, and (4) financial offer mentioning an all-inclusive expert daily fee to [email protected] cc’ing [email protected].
Clarification requests will be accepted until 16 April 2021, 12:00 PM local time.
Please include “Bylaws Expert – Lebanon” in the subject line and refer to the source where you have found this opportunity.
Closing date for applications is 23 April 2021, 14:00 PM local time. The assignment may start before the end of the deadline so early proposals are encouraged.
DRI is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, and culture. We strongly encourage qualified females to apply for this position.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10