Position Title: Finance and Administration Assistant
Form of Employment: Long-term consultancy contract
Position Location: Yangon, Myanmar with occasional travel for project activities
Reporting to: Head of Finance and Administration, Finance Manager
Contract Period: as soon as possible, initial one-year contract with the high probability of extension
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
DRI is currently recruiting a Finance and Administration Assistant for its country office in Myanmar, where one of DRI’s projects is the European Union- funded STEP Democracy project. STEP Democracy is implemented by a consortium of national and local organisations and works with the Union Election Commission (UEC), political parties and civil society organizations (CSOs), supporting Myanmar’s democratic transition with tailor-made programming in line with the unique needs of each electoral stakeholder, promoting dialogue on electoral reforms, human rights and democratic governance.
Objective and Role
The Finance and Administration Assistant will support the Finance and Administration team and project officers and will offer finance and administrative support services.
The Finance and Administration Assistant will work from Yangon, with occasional travel for project activities.
- Process payments (cash and bank) and prepare all accounting records, including vouchers, invoices, bank documents, cash receipts and cash disbursement journals;
- Check vouchers and invoices for validity, completeness and accuracy before submitting to the Finance Manager for review;
- Process payments to suppliers and staffs/local experts;
- Record financial transactions to a cash book;
- Record advance payments to staffs and suppliers and ensure timely follow-up of advance settlements;
- Conduct cash withdrawing, currency exchange, transfers to the suppliers and other banking procedures;
- Daily cash count in order to avoid discrepancy of cash and monthly cash count with Head of Finance and Administration/Finance Manager;
- Submit daily cash/bank balances for Finance Manager’s overview;
- Support the Finance Manager in cash flow planning and cash requirements to ensure adequate funds are available to meet programme requirements;
- Assist in preparation and coordination of the audit of the DRI country office.
- Assist the Finance and Administration team with filing, archiving, photocopying, scanning;
- Maintain the supply of office consumables, cleaning materials, water supply and stationery;
- Ensure that the office is tidy and clean, including supervise the cleaner;
- Perform general office clerk duties and errands.
- Perform any other related duties which are assigned.
- Bachelor degree in related field or/and LCCI Diploma holder.
- At least 2 years working experience in duties consistent with the above responsibilities.
Skills & Knowledge
- Ability to communicate, both written and oral, in English;
- Ability to work well under limited supervision;
- High attention to detail;
- Ability to handle multiple and competing priorities;
- Internet/email communication skills;
- Strong organisational skills;
- Professional and courteous;
- Commitment to DRI and its mission.
What DRI MM offers
- Opportunity to get to know the work of an INGO;
- Opportunity to work with a diverse team with flat hierarchies;
- Opportunity to develop English language skills;
- Opportunity to learn about donor-funded projects and donor regulations;
- Flexible working hours.
DRI values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people from diverse backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply!
Deadline for applications is 31 July 2019. Shortlisted candidates may be contacted before the deadline.
Candidates should submit a CV and a Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Finance and Administration Assistant’ in the subject line.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300 – Fax +49 30 27877300-10