Position Title: National Expert on Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL)
Form of Employment: Short-term Consultancy
Starting Date: 7 August 2018
Duration: 7 August – 30 September 2018. Maximum 15 days of work.
Location: Tunis (retreat will take place outside of Tunis)
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide. DRI has worked in Tunisia since February 2011 and its programme has focused on the support of the implementation of the 2014 Tunisian Constitution through strengthening CSOs and institutions active in the democratic transition. In doing so, DRI has focused on topics related to elections (election observation and advocacy for legal reforms) and providing expertise regarding fundamental elements of a democratic system of government.
DRI is undergoing an organisational review of its Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) system. Guided by the Director of Programmes and an organisation-wide MEL working group, a dedicated MEL focal point has taken the lead in assessing current practices and needs and designing a workplan for MEL, with the development of an organisation-wide MEL manual at its core. The process will, among others, align the MEL practices followed in DRI’s country offices with the approaches and mechanisms presented in the DRI MEL manual. The manual is expected to be finalised in August/September.
In order to address the needs arising from the ongoing MEL system review, DRI is currently recruiting a short-term National Expert on Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) for its Tunisia office. In collaboration with the DRI Tunisia team and the MEL focal point at HQ, and under the supervision of the DRI Tunisia Country Representative you will revise the existing mechanisms and tools used in the Tunisia Country Office and ensure their compatibility with the MEL Manual. You will identify gaps and needs on the level of the Tunisia Country Office and then provide recommendations to improve DRI’s current MEL procedures, policies and templates in the Tunisian context. Furthermore, you will provide a MEL training for the Tunisia Country Office staff and then facilitate the preparation of the MEL plans for the upcoming projects, advising the team on best practices on how to design the plans.
You will support the DRI Tunisia team in designing/reviewing and adapting its existing and future programme’s MEL frameworks in line with DRI’s MEL manual and support DRI in developing a MEL strategy for its Tunisia programme that demonstrates project results, identifies learning outcomes and promotes improvements throughout the lifecycle of the programme.
Your duties and responsibilities:
You will work closely with HQ’s and Tunisia’s MEL focal point and Country Director in the various steps of your assignment. This will include:
- Interviews and review of key documents to get acquainted with DRI’s work and approach to MEL;
- Conduct a desk review of DRI MEL operating strategies, plans, and other documents related to design of DRI’s intervention logic (e.g. formulation of project indicators and baselines);
- Provide recommendations to adapt the MEL framework to the Tunisian context in line with DRI’s MEL manual and project requirements (upon review of project design documents, description of activities, project log frame, work plan and other relevant documents provided by DRI);
- Prepare a programme, curriculum and facilitating a two-day retreat which aims at building capacities of DRI staff in the monitoring, evaluation and learning approaches in line with projects interventions (planned for September).
- Work with the MEL Focal points in Tunisia and at HQ to assess, describe, and finalize the indicators and targets for each outcome and output in the projects documents according to the adaptation results the project is aiming to achieve, ensuring that all indicators are SMART;
- Assist the Tunisian Team in the design of a results-based approach to monitoring and evaluation, emphasizing results and impact.
- Revision and recommendations on the application of the MEL framework in Tunisia, in specific on a MEL plan, procedures and forms for upcoming DRI projects in line with DRI MEL Manual (in French);
- Program and content for the retreat on MEL (in French and English);
- Training completion report (in French);
- End of assignment report (in French).
Qualifications we require:
- A master’s degree or higher in development studies, social sciences or a related field.
- At least ten years practical experience in the design and implementation of organisational MEL/M&E systems, including work with international and national NGOs operating in the Tunisian context.
- Proven expertise in designing MEL systems and providing technical MEL assistance to organisations working in the governance, civil society and democracy field.
- Proven experience in strategic approaches for programme monitoring and evaluation and assessment of best practices and lessons learned.
- Solid experience in monitoring and evaluation methodologies including quantitative and qualitative approaches and indicator design.
- Facilitating learning-oriented analysis and presentation sessions of MEL approaches
with multiple stakeholders.
- Familiarity with and a supportive attitude towards processes of strengthening organizational M&E and reporting capacity.
- Strong analytical thinking, attention to detail, organizational skills, timeliness, and work ethic.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with the work of DRI in Tunisia will be a strong asset.
- Excellent spoken and written French and Arabic. Advanced level of English, ability to work with English technical texts, ability to deliver presentations in English.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Women are encouraged to apply!
Moreover, DRI offers you flexible working hours, training opportunities and working as part of an international and multicultural team.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter,CV and work samples) to email@example.com. Please include “MEL Expert (Tunisia)” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity.
Closing date for applications: 30 July 2018. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest.