Form of Employment: Part-time
Starting Date: September 2020
Duration: Up to 6 months consulting agreements (up to 30 days for each consultant)
Locations: Lahore and Karachi
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
DRI is currently recruiting two part-time Provincial Policy Oversight Experts for its country office in Pakistan. In collaboration with, and under supervision of the Project Manager/Democratic Governance Expert you will engage with and provide technical support to the Parliamentarians and political leadership at the Provincial level on policy initiatives needed in the wake of covid-19.
Core function of the job:
We would expect high quality research and writing capacity (50%) as well as policy engagement experience and skills (50%) to work with the relevant government authorities.
Your duties and responsibilities:
- Researching laws/policies around covid-19 pandemic at the national/regional and international level
- Analysing and advising on policies, laws, and regulations to minimize the health and socio-economic effects of covid-19 in the province.
- Identification and engagement with key parliamentarians, members of relevant parliamentary committees and politicians who have an interest and will have an influence on addressing the various issues arising due to the covid-19 pandemic in the provinces.
- Provide technical advice to the Parliamentary bodies for sustained efforts to move the discussion forward.
- A progressive “ can do” attitude with ability to easily move in various ministries and ability to work with them according to their needs.
- Other relevant duties, as required.
Qualifications we require:
- University degree in Human Rights /Law/ Political Science or equivalent.
- Demonstrated understanding of how laws and policy works and what can be the role of various institutions, procedures, mechanisms to advance a policy agenda.
- Experience assessing policies or legislation and presenting analysis and recommendations to policy makers in particular on gender and social inclusion.
- Excellent understanding of the issues in the country in light of covid-19
- In depth knowledge of the political context of the country and demonstrated experience in engaging/working with public institutions and senior politicians ideally in a campaign setting.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Urdu, knowledge of Punjabi and Sindhi is an asset
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Women are encouraged to apply!
Moreover, DRI offers you flexible working hours, training opportunities and working as part of an international and multicultural team.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “National Expert: Provincial Policy Oversight (Punjab/Sindh)” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. This position is subject to funding. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 6 September 2020. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10