Position title: NGOs & INGOs Compliance with Government (Pakistan)
Starting date: July 2021
Duration: Up to 40 working days (approximate)
Location: Islamabad with travel to provincial capitals
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
In an upcoming project, DRI Pakistan is planning to engage with parliamentarians and government bodies to discuss the role of NGOs and how they can effectively assist the socio-economic development of Pakistan in our unique national context. The overall objective of the project is to work with the government to create a conducive environment for civil society and media.
DRI seeks the services of an Expert/Consultant to engage with and provide technical support to the government at the national and provincial levels to highlight the issues faced by civil society and how this may impact the overall socio-economic development of the country. The engagement with these stakeholders will be through briefings, consultations and one-on-one meetings.
Your duties and responsibilities:
- Identification of key government officials at the federal and provincial level who have an interest in and will have an influence on addressing the issue of shrinking civil society space in Pakistan.
- Design and deliver briefings for various stakeholders including government officials in the federal as well as provincial capitals on interpretation of existing rules and how they are hampering the civic space and the NGOs operations. This will also include one-on-one meetings to provide technical advice to the government for sustained efforts to streamline the operational issues faced by CSOs.
- Organize meetings between NGO’s leadership and the key officials to move towards policies that could support the CSOs.
- Show progressive development towards issue identification and then graduating the debate leading to public action (statement, resolution, public resolution or a successful meeting etc.) through individual and public engagement making sure the whole campaign and engagements are well-knit, coherent and goal-oriented.
Qualifications we require:
- University degree in Development Studies/Human Rights /Law/ Political Science or equivalent.
- Preferably 15 years of experience in engaging/working with public institutions and senior government officials. Should bring to the table a vast contact base and engagement history with key stakeholders.
- Demonstrated understanding of how the rules and policies work and what can be the role of various institutions, procedures, mechanisms to advance the dialogue.
- Excellent understanding of the issues being faced by civil society in the country and the domestic legal and operational framework applicable to registration and regulation of civil society organisations.
- Excellent communication skills
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to [email protected]. Please include “Pakistan: NGO and INGO Compliance with Government Expert” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. Women are encouraged to apply! Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 17 July 2021. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
12045 Berlin, Germany
Tel: +49 (0)30 2787730-0 Fax: +49 (0)30 2787730-10