Assignment Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Employment Type: Consultancy, subject to funding
Assignment Period: April – 31 December 2021
Duration: Up to 30 expert days
Deadline: 4 April 2021; 11:59 PM local time (Beirut, Lebanon)
DRI is looking for an experienced anchorperson to prepare and present an online political talk-show that promotes citizen-centred engagement on democratic discourse and political reform in Lebanon.
- About DRI
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. It has been established in Lebanon since 2016. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions worldwide. Democratic discourse is the basis of our mission and vision. In our work, we facilitate discussion and exchange about democratic government and the need for a continuous discourse adhering to democratic rules.
In the framework of a pilot project, DRI is working to expand the democratic space for a civil society-led debate on systemic change in Lebanon. The project is premised on the theory of change that, if citizens and marginalised voices are given a platform to engage in the democratic space, and have increased awareness of the political debate, then the vision of Lebanon’s future political model will be more inclusive, because new thought leaders can engage and discuss new proposals for citizen and people-centred political change. In the long-term, citizens are encouraged actively participate in the governing of their own country in an inclusive and participatory manner.
- Project Overview
Ahead of the 2022 elections, we aim to launch, with the support of 10–12 young media makers (“young media fellows”) based in Lebanon, an online political talk-show that introduces new faces to the media landscape and amplifies civil society voices. The talk-show will discuss political change in Lebanon and the way it can be achieved through the coordinated effort of local stakeholders. In parallel, we aim to empower young media makers by expanding their skills to tackle policy problems and jointly collaborating on the talk-show.
- The Talk-Show
The online political talk-show is structured around thematic queries that cut across the various project outputs and activities. Tentative thematic queries include the following:
- How to re-shape the Lebanese political system based on a new social contract, secular citizenship, and a sound system of checks and balances?
- How can a value-centric political model rebuild Lebanon? The scope may include the identification of values (e.g., meritocracy, inclusion, sustainability, stewardship, accountability, social justice) and the alignment of target audience on rethinking the political culture of Lebanon.
- How to establish the Rule of Law, Accountability, Ethical and Responsible Government?
- How to change the electoral system for a fair representation of Lebanese society?
- How to improve public service provision?
- How to boost the role of civil society, particularly youth and women, in effecting political change?
To address these topics, the online talk-show will be hosting emerging thought leaders and political activists outside of the mainstream Lebanese media.
The presenter is a member of the online talk-show team and will act as the face of show, which is produced by DRI. The episodes will be recorded rather than livestreamed.
We have planned for 15 episodes of around 30 minutes each to be produced between March/April and December 2021. The level of effort for this assignment is up to 30 expert days.
Under the overall supervision of DRI’s Country Representative, you will work closely with the Programme Manager and the Communications Unit to prepare the content of each episode and present the talk-show (up to 15 episodes).
Under the supervision of and in close coordination with DRI, you will
- Conduct background research and prepare the introduction and the talk-show questions for each episode;
- Review the visual content prepared by DRI before and after each episode;
- Advise DRI on the identification and selection of talk-show guests – if needed;
- Advise DRI on the selection, prioritisation, and formulation of the topic of each episode;
- Advise on additional visual content creation, such as reports, vox pops, infographics, slideshows etc. – if needed;
- Conduct a meeting or pre-interview with the talk-show guests;
- Present all of the talk-show’s episodes;
- Monitor news sources and remain up-to-date in regards to social, political, and economic developments;
- Liaise with the production crew and the talk-show guests as per the workflow approved by DRI;
- Review the final cut of the episode and advise where needed before posting online.;
- Ensure that DRI guidelines, mission, and values are adhered to throughout the talk-show.
Your Skills & Experience
- A university degree in political science, communications, media studies, journalism, or relevant field .etc.
- At least 5 years of civic engagement or experience in political journalism
- Familiarity with or understanding of online/WebTV talk-shows, podcast creation, production processes, or similar experience (e.g., dialogue processes)
- Understanding of democratisation, human rights, political reform, and civic engagement, political topics
- Strong editorial judgment
- Engaging on-stage persona and presence
- Professional public speaking and presenting skills in Arabic
- Working proficiency in English
- Preferred: Experience as anchor person in a national or international broadcast news channel or political newsroom (online/offline)
Due to possible covid-19 travel restrictions, part of the assignment may be conducted remotely (briefings, coordination meetings etc.). The shooting of the episodes will be done onsite.
Please include “Talk-Show Presenter – Lebanon” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. Incomplete applications will be disregarded.
Submission of Proposal:
- A motivation letter;
- Your Curriculum Vitae;
- Samples of your work (portfolio, publications, media products) including video samples of you as a presenter;
(Note: Please share the samples via WeTransfer or include YouTube links in your motivation letter);
- Your expert daily rate in Euros for a total of up to 30 expert days.
DRI is committed to diversity and does not discriminate in employment based upon gender (including pregnancy), race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, ability, socio-economic status, or any other status protected by the laws in the locations where we operate.
Closing date for applications is 4 April 2021, 11:59 PM local time (Beirut). The vacancy may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview and casting.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
12045 Berlin, Germany
Tel. +49 (30) 27 877 300
Fax +49 (30) 27 877 300-10