Form of Employment: Part-time
Starting Date: October 2020
Duration: Up to 60 working days over a period of 6 months
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies, and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
DRI is currently recruiting a Parliamentary Reforms Expert for its Country Office in Pakistan. In collaboration with, and under the supervision of the Project Manager/Democratic Governance Expert.
The expert will develop three separate packages of reform proposals and recommendations for amendments in Rules of Procedures and Conduct of Business of the National Assembly, Provincial Assembly of the Punjab and Provincial Assembly of Sindh aimed at strengthening the overall role of Committees in legislation and oversight of the government.
- Review the Rules of Procedure & Conduct of Business of the National, Punjab and Sindh Assemblies and propose amendments aimed at strengthening the role of Committees in the process of legislation and oversight role of the Assembly.
- Prepare separate reforms packages for each house with structure and design finalized in consultation with the project manager and project team.
- Work closely with chairperson and members of the Committees on RoPs for drafting amendments.
- Maintain working relationships with political and secretariat leadership of the National, Punjab and Sindh Assemblies, key members of these Houses, chairperson and members of relevant parliamentary committees, senior secretariat officials of three Houses, PIPS and other stakeholders who have an interest and will have an influence on parliamentary reforms.
- Conduct consultations with key parliamentary stakeholders to identify key reform areas, opportunities, and challenges.
- Conduct briefings and provide technical advice to parliamentarians and relevant committees for effective implementation of the reforms.
- May travel to Karachi and Lahore for consultation with political and secretariat leaderships and key members of Punjab and Sindh Assemblies.
- Prepare first drafts of the reforms packages by end of November
- Other relevant duties, as required.
Your Skills and Experience:
- University degree in Development Studies/Human Rights /Law/ Political Science or equivalent; Masters preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of the political context of the country and demonstrated experience in engaging/working with parliamentary and/or other public institutions and senior politicians. Should bring to the table a vast contact base and engagement history with key stakeholders.
- Demonstrated understanding and expertise in parliamentary reforms related to rules, procedures, and planning; track record of working with parliamentarians and other key stakeholders to improve parliamentary processes and functions
- Excellent understanding of the issues being in the country in light of covid-19
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills and ability to work as part of a culturally diverse team
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Urdu
- Report writing skills.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to [email protected]. Please include “National Expert Parliamentary Reforms” in the subject line and refer to the source where you have found this opportunity. This position is subject to funding. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 13 October 2020. The position may be filled before the deadline has been reached, so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline.
DRI is committed to diversity and does not discriminate in employment based upon gender (including pregnancy), race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, ability, socio-economic status, or any other status protected by the laws in the locations where we operate.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10