Form of Employment: Part-time
Starting Date: November 2020
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies, and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
DRI is currently recruiting a pool of Policy Experts for its Country Office in Pakistan. In collaboration with, and under the supervision of the Project Manager/Democratic Governance Expert with Country Rep DRI as a quality assurer, you will develop need-based technical inputs for parliamentarians in the form of written briefs on key policy areas, in light of the impact of Covid-19 and in line with international best practices.
- Develop policy briefs on the government’s covid-19 response with a focus on one or more of the following areas:
- public health,
- social protection,
- industry, livelihoods and the economy,
- and inter-provincial/federal coordination mechanisms.
The policy briefs could have a federal or provincial focus or can cover both depending upon the need and will be based on secondary analysis/desk review from sectoral experts often having deep knowledge in one or two key areas.
DRI briefs are succinct and easy to follow and read while covering all important issues. We do not envisage very lengthy documents.
- Provide evidence-based, comprehensive analysis on the existing status of the government response, future needs, implementation bottlenecks and preparation in case of any future waves of the pandemic
- Provide insights focused on the federal government and/or the Sindh and Punjab governments, depending on assignment requirements and particular areas of expertise
- Work with DRI communications team to develop supporting infographics
- Brief stakeholders, project staff and experts on policy brief findings and recommendations
- Other relevant duties, as required.
Your Skills and Experience:
- University degree in Development Studies/Human Rights /Law/ Political Science/public health/Economics or equivalent; Masters preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of the political context of the country and demonstrated expertise in at least one of the five policy areas in the context of covid-19: public health, social protection, livelihoods and economy, education, and inter-provincial/federal coordination mechanisms
- Track record of published work in journals, think tanks, newspapers, or the development sector strongly preferred
- Experience in supporting graphic designers/content editors to produce infographics and other supporting visuals is preferred
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills and ability to work as part of a culturally diverse team
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Urdu
- Report writing skills.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV), as well as a writing sample of no more than 5 pages, to [email protected]. Please include “Policy Expert” in the subject line and refer to the source where you have found this opportunity. This position is subject to funding. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 20 November 2020. The position may be filled before the deadline has been reached, so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline.
DRI is committed to diversity and does not discriminate in employment based upon gender (including pregnancy), race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, ability, socio-economic status, or any other status protected by the laws in the locations where we operate.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10