Form of Employment: Full-time employment
Starting Date: As soon as possible / 1 January 2020
Duration: Seven months until 31 July 2020, with the possibility of extension
Location: Colombo, Sri Lanka
Application deadline: 29 December 2019
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
DRI is operating in Sri Lanka since 2016 and has implemented various democratic strengthening projects with the support of the German Federal Foreign Office, the European Union, the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs, and the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ). DRI is working on the thematic areas of human rights, elections, and democratic discourse with a focus on strengthening civil society in their work towards democratic reforms.
DRI is currently recruiting a full-time Procurement and Logistics Assistant for its Country Office in Colombo, Sri Lanka. In collaboration with, and under the supervision of the Finance Manager, you will support procurement and logistics tasks to ensure DRI’s operations in Sri Lanka and the delivery of high-quality activities including workshops, conferences, trainings with a variety of stakeholders across the Island.
Your duties and responsibilities:
- Support in conducting procurements based on DRI’s procurement policy and procedure, including requests for quotes, offer evaluations, offer purchase recommendations;
- Participate in market assessments of suppliers and service providers;
- Assist in drafting and updating a procurement plan according to the project budget and work plan;
- Provide logistics assistance to the DRI local team and local experts to implement activities in Colombo and the provinces, including travel, accommodation arrangements, printing and design of documents;
- Assist the team with receiving international experts and consultants by providing airport pick-ups and local travel arrangements, hotel reservations, communication kits, and security arrangements;
- Liaise with the Communication Officer in the creation of posters, follow-up of the conceptualization and printing with the graphic designer of reports/leaflets/roll-ups etc;
- Provide support to inventory and asset management making sure DRI equipment such as multi-media projectors, cameras, recorders, banners etc. are well stored and maintained at all times;
- Ensure the proper organization of the workspace at the DRI Country Office;
- Attend to purchases, maintenance and repairs issues at the DRI Country Office including office equipment, office supplies and consumables, insurance matters etc.;
- Establish and manage relationships with suppliers and providers.
Qualifications we require:
- University degree in commerce, procurement, economics, logistics or (project) management;
- Prior experience as a procurement and/or logistics assistant with a non-governmental organization working on the basis of donor regulations;
- Understanding and demonstrable experience of procurement and logistics aspects of event coordination;
- Understanding and experience of facility and asset/inventory management;
- Strong coordination and communication skills and experience working with a range of stakeholders including from the profit and non-profit sector such as service providers, CSO/NGO representatives etc.;
- Excellent attention to detail and commitment to quality;
- Ability to travel alone to provinces within Sri Lanka;
- Strong proficiency in English, fluency in Sinhala and/or Tamil;
- Understanding of or interest in the political context and democratic reform process in Sri Lanka is desirable;
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunity employer. Women and people from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Moreover, DRI offers you flexible working hours, training opportunities and working as part of an international and multicultural team.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Procurement and Logistics Assistant – Sri Lanka” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. This position is subject to funding. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 29 December 2019. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300 – Fax +49 30 27877300-10