Form of Employment: Full-time position
Starting Date: 1 January 2020
Duration: 7 months, until 31 July 2020 with the possibility of extension
Location: Colombo/Sri Lanka, with possible travel to the provinces
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
DRI is operating in Sri Lanka since 2016 and has implemented various democratic strengthening projects with the support of the German Federal Foreign Office, the European Union, the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs, and the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ). DRI is working on the thematic areas of human rights, elections, and democratic discourse – including social media monitoring – with a focus on strengthening civil society in their work towards democratic reforms.
DRI is currently recruiting a full-time employee for the position of Programme Associate for its country office in Colombo, Sri Lanka. Under the supervision of DRI’s Programme Director in Sri Lanka and in close coordination with other team members and DRI Focal Points at Headquarters, your tasks will be two-fold in providing research and data processing/visualization support on social media monitoring as well as administrative support for the implementation of multiple projects on democracy strengthening in Sri Lanka.
Your duties and responsibilities:
Research and data processing/visualization
- Conduct desk research to identify organisations currently working on social media monitoring or more generally on disinformation and hate speech in Sri Lanka and their methodologies used, and keep track of their work;
- Conduct ongoing desk research on the political situation in Sri Lanka and identify key political issues relevant for social media monitoring against project needs;
- Support determining key words to analyse the public discourse around identified issues;
- Assist in developing relevant categories for coding of user engagement in social media;
- Support the coordination of local coders to provide deliverables on time and do random quality checks of the coded datasets;
- Assist in producing visualizations of the analysed data to communicate key findings;
- Proofread publications translated to Sinhala and/or Tamil.
Programme administration and support
- Assist the team in the preparation, implementing and follow-up of all project activities including support to agendas, invitation letters, participant lists, evaluation and feedback forms, and reports;
- Support in the reviewing and editing of documents;
- Support in the development of event visibility and publication materials such as brochures, banners, briefing papers in collaboration with a graphic designer;
- Support the work of short-term experts by taking care of logistical arrangements, administrative and other tasks;
- Keep administrative records of all project documents;
- Other relevant duties, as required.
Qualifications we require:
- University degree in political or social science, international relations, development, media studies, ICT or other relevant fields;
- At least 2 years of work experience in the international development sector and/or project related work;
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to translate findings into convincing language along with strong verbal communication skills;
- Diligence, eye for details, and creativity supporting DRI’s programme implementation;
- Proficient IT skills and ability to create graphs, icons, charts etc. with various open source software;
- Ability to work as part of a culturally diverse team and under pressure;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Sinhala and/or Tamil.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Women are encouraged to apply! Moreover, DRI offers you flexible working hours, training opportunities and working as part of an international and multicultural team.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Programme Associate” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 29 December 2019. This position is contingent upon funding.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10