Form of Employment: Full-time
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Duration: Two years
Location: HQ, Berlin
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide. DRI works with local civil society organisations, independent state bodies and other stakeholders on advancing key elements of democratic institution-building and the promotion of a democratic culture.
DRI is currently recruiting a full-time Programme Officer (f/m) for its head office in Berlin to support DRI’s Middle East and North Africa (MENA) portfolio, with a focus on our Tunisia programme as well as on coordinating a project with the Arab Association of Constitutional Lawyers (depending on available funding). DRI’s work in Tunisia focuses on supporting constitutional implementation, decentralization and judicial reform, as well as promoting citizen participation in governance reforms and elections at the national and local levels. In collaboration with the Tunisia-based team, and under supervision of the Director of Programmes you will support and monitor all phases of programme implementation in accordance with project contracts, donor requirements and DRI policies and procedures.
Your duties and responsibilities:
Support for DRI’s Tunisia programme (80%):
- Support the design and project implementation of project components and activities, including workshops, missions of international experts;
- Ensure effective on-going communication with the country office and regular reporting, also through field trips and organizing visits of the mission staff at the HQ;
- Support drafting workplans and monitoring & evaluation plans;
- Monitor compliance with the project workplan and expenditure; verification of procedures;
- Ensure monitoring and evaluation is carried out in accordance with the monitoring and evaluation plan and DRI relevant rules and procedures;
- Support preparation of ToRs, prepare draft contracts for international experts, auditors and evaluators and coordinate their missions;
- Support the country office in developing concept notes and project proposals on relevant aspects of democracy support, including for instance constitutional, judicial and electoral reform work and/or governance and citizen participation support programming, for presentation to donors;
- Support drafting regular and ad hoc reports for donors and partners as well as other forms of written communication (news stories, articles etc.);
- Communicate with relevant donors in the portfolio and contribute to resource mobilization;
- Support the process of drafting, editing, translating and printing publications;
- Contribute to developing relevant guidelines and procedures in cooperation with the mission staff (e.g. sub-grants, MEL etc.);
- Support the work of the DRI Programme Unit at HQ by acting as a Focal Point for a cross-cutting role, such as Communications, Donor Relations, Programme Development or other, depending on the skills and interest of the applicant.
Coordination of DRI’s project with the Arab Association of Constitutional Lawyers (20%):
- Planning and coordinating the implementation of a regional project from HQ, including organizing roundtables and study trips, as well coordinating experts and the production of publications
- Managing all project-related tasks (reporting, donor communication etc.)
Qualifications we require:
- University degree, preferably in international relations, political science, law, social sciences, or a related field;
- Solid knowledge of and proven experience of at least 4 years in project management either with international organisations or NGOs;
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills and ability to work as part of a culturally diverse team;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, and spreadsheets to track project activities and outputs;
- Strong planning and organisational skills;
- Experience working on human rights, governance and/or democratization;
- Previous experience in the field of democracy support and governance in the MENA region an advantage;
- Interest in and knowledge of Tunisia and the MENA region is a strong asset.
- Previous experience in communication and/or fundraising role is an asset;
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- (at least) working knowledge of French and/or Arabic;
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Moreover, DRI offers you a job with flexible working hours, travel health insurance, vocational training for every employee and working in a multicultural team in the heart of Berlin, where everybody is on first name terms with each other.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to [email protected]. Please include “PC_Tunisia2018” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Please not that the original deadline for applications of 9 December 2018 has been extended until 16 December 2018. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline, so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10