Position Title: PROGRAMME DIRECTOR – LIBYA
Form of Employment: Full-time
Starting Date: 1 January 2019
Duration: Until December 2019, with the possibility of extension
Location: Tunis, Tunisia (with regular travels to Libya if the security situation allows)
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes the political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
In Libya, DRI has been supporting the constitution-drafting process and the work of Libyan civil society organisations on topics related to the constitution, human rights and local governance. Under this programme (comprised of two separate projects), DRI will be working with its local partners and networks on building the knowledge and capacity of Libyan citizens to engage in the country’s governance processes, with an initial focus on the local level. To do so, DRI will run civic education activities with elected local officials, civil society organisations and citizens on (local) elections, the constitution and political participation. In addition, and in close cooperation with its local partners, the project will raise awareness among citizens (online and offline) on the relevance of democratic milestones of the transition and facilitate exchange between citizens, civil society representatives and elected officials at the local level and relevant institutional actors (such as representatives of the National and Local Election Commissions (HNEC and CCMCE), the Constitution Drafting Assembly and others).
Your Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of DRI’s Director of Programmes, the Programme Director will be responsible for overseeing the entire portfolio of work of the DRI Libya country office. This entails the design, implementation and evaluation/reporting on DRI Libya’s projects, and the management of the DRI Libya office.
More specifically, the Programme Director will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Ensuring that the projects’ outputs and activities are responsive to the political and security context and project goals, as well as delivered in an effective, timely and efficient manner;
- Identifying significant developments (political, security, etc.) and their impact on the projects’ activities or entry points for engagement;
- Drafting, reviewing or contributing to reports, briefing papers and other knowledge products;
- Developing a visibility and outreach strategy for the projects;
- Monitoring the implementation of the projects and proposing any modifications to the projects’ work plans; ensuring a continuous and effective Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning process throughout the project management cycle;
- Ensuring that gender mainstreaming is applied throughout the project management cycle and within the country office;
- Overseeing the recruitment and work undertaken by local and international experts;
- Overseeing project budgets and financial reporting, in cooperation with the Finance Manager and DRI HQ Finance Unit, as well as ensuring that procurement is carried out in accordance with DRI standard practices and donor regulations;
- Ensuring the safety and security of all DRI operations and persons contractually affiliated to DRI;
- Managing the DRI team in Tunis, supervising staff and experts;
- Ensuring effective coordination with and reporting to DRI’s Director of Programmes, DRI Representative for North Africa, and other relevant staff at DRI Headquarters;
- Ensuring effective coordination with VNG International/CILG and DRI’s representation in the consortium implementing the EU’s Public Administration Facility III (PAF III);
- Providing advice and briefings to key stakeholders on relevant issues of democracy and governance (including elections, local governance and political participation), constitutional reform and human rights implementation;
- Other relevant duties, as required.
Your Education and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in law, political or social science or a related field;
- At least five years of relevant professional experience managing projects related to democracy assistance, human rights or governance reform. Experience with international non-profit organisations is preferred;
- Proven experience in supervising and managing staff; experience in heading a project office in Libya is an asset;
- At least three years of experience in managing projects in Libya;
- Strong networks with relevant stakeholders in the governance field in Libya;
- Sound knowledge of international democracy and human rights standards; experience in civic education activities is a distinct asset
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office (particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- The ability to travel inside Libya is a requirement;
- Fluency in English and Arabic, both spoken and written is required;
- Strong presentation skills (written and oral);
- Excellent interpersonal, managerial and communication skills, and a strong administrative track record, including proven leadership, staff and financial management;
- Good negotiation skills and the ability to work as part of a culturally diverse team.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Women are encouraged to apply! DRI offers a competitive salary according to donor regulations and incumbent experience. Moreover, DRI offers you flexible working hours, training opportunities and working as part of an international and multicultural team.
This position is subject to funding.
For interested applicants, please send your application (cover letter, CV and three references) to [email protected]. Please include “Programme Director – Libya” in the subject line and also inform us about your earliest possible starting date.
Closing date for applications: 30 November 2018. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10