Form of Employment: Full-time
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Duration: One year, with the possibility of extension
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide. DRI works with local civil society organisations, independent state bodies and other stakeholders on advancing key elements of democratic institution-building and the promotion of a democratic culture.
DRI is currently recruiting a full-time Programme Officer Asia (f/m) for its head office in Berlin to support DRI’s programmatic activities in its Asia portfolio, with a focus on our Pakistan programme. DRI’s work in Pakistan currently centers around the support of electoral reforms, human rights standards, and parliamentary strengthening. In collaboration with, and under supervision of the Director of Programmes you will support and monitor all phases of programme implementation in accordance with project contracts, donor requirements and DRI policies and procedures.
Your duties and responsibilities:
- Co-ordinate local teams and cooperate in the development and implementation of activities, including workshops, missions of international experts and publications.
- Ensure effective on-going communication with project offices and regular reporting, also through field trips;
- Monitor compliance with the project workplan and expenditure; verification of procedures;
- Ensures monitoring and evaluation is carried out in accordance with the monitoring and evaluation plan;
- Prepare draft contracts for international experts, auditors and evaluators and coordinate their missions;
- Develop concept notes on relevant aspects of democracy support, including for instance electoral reform, human rights and parliamentary support programming, for presentation to donors and drafting of project proposals;
- Manage the process of drafting, editing, translating and printing project publications;
- Other relevant duties, as required.
Qualifications we require:
- University degree, preferably in international relations, political science, law, social sciences, or a related field;
- Solid knowledge of and proven experience in project management either with international organisations or NGOs. Experience with European Union-funded projects is desirable;
- Previous experience in the field of democracy support, human rights and/or governance an advantage;
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills and ability to work as part of a culturally diverse team;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, and spreadsheets used to track project activities and outputs;
- Strong planning and organisational skills;
- Fluency in written and spoken English, knowledge of an Asian language is an asset.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Moreover, DRI offers you a job with flexible working hours, travel health insurance, vocational training for every employee and working in a multicultural team in the heart of Berlin, where everybody is on first name terms with each other.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “PO_Asia2018” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity.
Closing date for applications: 31 March 2018. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest.