Intern – Asia Team, Programme Unit
Location: Berlin, Germany
Slot 1: April through June 2018
Slot 2: July through September 2018
Slot 3: October through December 2018
To be considered for an internship you must be enrolled as a student throughout the entire duration of the internship. Unfortunately, DRI cannot offer any exceptions to this. Please provide a certificate of student status in your application email, or indicate when you will be able to provide such a certificate. If you need to ask your university for a leave of absence in order to undertake this internship, please obtain this permission before applying.
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes the political participation of citizens, the accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide. DRI is currently recruiting an intern for its Berlin headquarters to support DRI’s work in Asia (Pakistan, Myanmar, Sri Lanka) and its GSP+ Global Labour and Human Rights project. The intern will support the Asia Team in the areas of communications and project management/administration.
- Contribute to writing and editing website stories and newsletter articles;
- Support in drafting and scheduling content for social media channels;
- Conduct image selection for the website and social media channels;
- Assist in drafting and editing reports and briefing papers and translating documents;
- Support in the recruitment and management of international experts including travel logistics;
- Support the organisation and its implementation of expert missions as well as workshops and DRI events in Berlin or in-country;
- Assist in maintaining project files, databases and other resources;
- Conduct research on current and political affairs in programme countries and the wider Asia region with a particular focus on elections, constitutions and human rights;
- Provide support to project Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning tasks;
- Other duties as required.
- Academic background in law, political science, (South) Asian studies, journalism, public relations or related fields;
- Experience in media/communications/social media;
- Previous office experience;
- Excellent oral and written English;
- Spanish, German, and/or Portuguese skills are an asset;
- Proficiency in key computer applications, such as Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Experience working with Content Management Systems (WordPress) is preferred;
- Experience with photo and graphic editing software is an asset;
- Knowledge of the Asian region, with a particular focus on Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Myanmar, is preferable;
- Experience in project cycle management, communications, and research is an asset;
- Student status; must be enrolled in university throughout the duration of the internship;
- Working permit for Germany (if you are a foreign student). [DRI cannot offer visa support]
The internship is full time (i.e. 40 hours/week), for a duration of three months. A monthly internship allowance of 400 € will be provided.
Please submit your application (cover letter, CV, and certificate of student status) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Asia Intern 2018” as the subject heading and supporting documents in the following format: SURNAME_FIRSTNAME_DOCUMENTNAME.
Please clearly indicate which internship slot(s) (you may apply for more than one) you are applying for. If you do not indicate a slot(s), your application will not be considered.
The deadline for applications is 14 January 2018 (Midnight CET). Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.