Form of Employment: Full-time
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Duration: One year, with the possibility of extension
DRI is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI accompanies and engages people who are working to build, preserve and defend democratic and accountable institutions – especially in moments of significant change. The organisation supports the building of democracies through public debates, participation and accountable policymaking, and helps defending democratic governance.
In the MENA region, DRI has been accompanying democratic processes in various countries since 2008. With three country offices in Tunisia, Lebanon and Libya, DRI benefits from solid comparative knowledge on governance processes in the region and an extensive network of national experts and partner organisations. Since 2017, DRI has been increasingly active in the field of social media monitoring (SMM), strengthening local capacities to monitor social media during elections, creating evidence in different countries, gathering expert organisations, producing methodologies and informing the public and expert debate.
In the framework of the project “Countering Disinformation and Hate Speech in the MENA”, DRI will seek to contribute to strengthened safeguarding of democratic processes and society’s resilience to disinformation and hate speech in the region. DRI will work with partner organisations from four countries (Jordan, Lebanon, Sudan, Tunisia), strengthening local capacities to monitor and analyse disinformation and hate speech during key national democratic processes, while building a regional network to allow for comparative analysis and peer learning. The project also seeks to raise awareness of decision makers, tech companies, and civic target groups on the project’s findings, while developing national and regional recommendations (including possible regulation) to combat online disinformation and hate speech.
DRI is recruiting a full-time Project and MEL Coordinator for the project office in Tunis. Under the supervision of the North Africa Representative, you will coordinate and provide oversight to all phases of project implementation in close collaboration with a second Project Coordinator and the Senior Social Media and Data Analyst, including monitoring and updating of workplans, effective delivery of project activities, the fulfilment of reporting requirements, as well as ensuring compliance with relevant financial, procurement and reporting procedures. In close cooperation with DRI Tunisia’s MEL Officer, you will develop the overall project monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) strategy, ensuring successful implementation and providing respective support to partner organisations. You will act as the focal point for partner organisations in two project countries and coordinate and oversee related assessment processes, capacity-building activities, and sub-granting procedures, while ensuring compliance with donor regulations and DRI’s internal policies and procedures. You will also contribute to the planning and organisation of regional level activities in close cooperation with the project team.
- Act as the focal point for project partners in two project countries and work in close coordination and collaboration with the Senior Social Media and Data Analyst;
- In close coordination with DRI Tunisia’s MEL Officer, develop the overall project monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) strategy in line with DRI’s internal standards and donor guidelines, ensure successful implementation, and provide MEL support to partner organisations;
- Assist with capacity and needs assessments of project partners;
- Lead on the communication, and follow-up with project partners in two project countries to ensure smooth project implementation and a smooth cooperation;
- Support project partners in two project countries who receive a sub-grant from DRI and ensure proper reporting;
- Co-design, deliver, facilitate and/or lead on selected project activities, such as workshops, trainings, conferences, and/or publications;
- Co-draft Terms of Reference for and lead on the coordination with project experts and consultants;
- In close coordination with the project team, monitor compliance and ensure quality delivery of the project workplan and expenditure;
- Lead on internal and donor reporting for relevant projects through writing and researching for donor reports;
- In cooperation with the Gender and Diversity focal point, ensure gender and diversity are considered in all aspects of work in the project;
- In close coordination with DRI MENA Communications Officer, ensure the visibility and outreach of DRI and the relevant project activities;
- Other relevant duties, as required.
Your Skills and Experience:
- University degree in political or social sciences, public administration, development, law or a related field or equivalent number of years of relevant experience;
- At least 4 years of relevant/progressive professional experience coordinating projects in democracy assistance or international development, including at least 1 related to governance, civil society, citizen outreach, civic education or related fields;
- Demonstrated experience in designing and implementing MEL frameworks and tools;
- Strong coordination skills with the ability to effectively coordinate partner organisations’ activity implementation and capacity-building. Experience in manging subgrants is a strong asset;
- A solid administrative track record;
- Understanding of issues surrounding online disinformation, polarisation, online hate speech democratic debate and/or related topics;
- Native-level fluency in Arabic, full working proficiency in English;
- Excellent interpersonal, intercultural, and communication skills;
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing project circumstances and the needs and expectations the different partner organisations, colleagues at the Tunis office and DRI HQ.
- Demonstrated interest or experience in social media research, data analysis, election monitoring, policy development and/or related topics;
- Interest in and knowledge of political processes and relevant stakeholders the MENA region;
- Knowledge of French is an asset.
What We Offer:
DRI offers you flexible working hours, travel health insurance, training opportunities and the opportunity to work as part of an international and diverse team. The competitive remuneration for this position is aligned with DRI’s remuneration range for national employees.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please submit your application (cover letter and CV) here. This position is subject to funding.
Closing date for applications: 14 February 2021. The position may be filled before the deadline has been reached, so early applications are encouraged.
DRI is committed to diversity and treats everybody equally, independent of gender identity, sex, pregnancy, race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, ability, socio-economic status, political opinion (as long as respectful of democratic principles), or any other status protected by the laws in the locations where we operate.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
Elbestr. 28 / 29
12045 Berlin, Germany