Position: Project & Communications Officer – Lebanon (m/f/d)
Form of Employment: Full-time
Starting Date: 18 January 2021
Duration: One year, with the possibility of extension
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies, and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
DRI is currently recruiting a full-time Project and Communications Officer for its country office in Lebanon to lead a project on the expansion of the democratic space for political change in Lebanon, in addition to contributing to DRI’s communications. The project in focus aims to support an inclusive debate on the prospects of political change in Lebanon and the role of youth by:
- Amplifying the voices of civic actors in democratic spaces and discourses – this will include the creation of a podcast/WebTV to share solutions for political reform;
- Training local media makers to support a citizen-centred engagement on democratic discourse and political reform this will include grassroots debates about democratic change in Lebanon.
Under the overall supervision of the Country Representative and in close coordination with other DRI Lebanon team members, the Project and Communications Officer will
- Co-design and implement the overall strategy of the podcast/WebTV, content creation, and all outputs and activities of assigned project(s);
- Coordinate engagement and project delivery with relevant project stakeholders and liaise with external experts and consultants
- Develop and oversee project monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) frameworks and tools, collect and analyse relevant data and compile MEL reports in accordance with DRI’s MEL and donor guidelines
- Ensure gender and diversity mainstreaming
- Lead on internal and donor reporting for relevant projects through writing and researching for donor reports
- Support the implementation and further development of DRI’s communications, strategy
- Report on DRI’s activities and knowledge products in the form of news and feature stories and other content for DRI’s website
- Support the outreach to media outlets (developing media messages, writing press materials and kits, drafting and editing comment pieces, in English and Arabic; developing and maintaining contacts with Lebanon-based and regional media professionals
- Support the production of publications, including editing DRI publications and the preparation of knowledge materials for DRI’s online platforms
- Support the Communications Coordinator with specific research tasks, such as background research on political developments in the fields relevant to DRI’s work in Lebanon
- Other relevant duties, as required
Your Skills and Experience
- University degree in communications, media studies, journalism, or other relevant fields
- At least 3–4 years of work experience in communications, journalism or the media sector
- Knowledge of governance, democracy standards and international human rights conventions is a strong asset
- Creativity and analytical skills, with strong attention to detail
- Strong communication, presentation, and negotiation skills
- Ability to work as part of a diverse team
- Experience in project coordination
- Excellent writing, editing, proof-reading for media purposes
- Public speaking and presentation skills
- Fluency in English and Arabic
- Experience in podcasts and content creation
- Knowledge of governance, democratisation, and decentralisation
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation of projects is a strong asset
- Sense of initiative, attention to detail, and creativity in driving DRI’s online and advocacy presence forward
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills and ability to work as part of a culturally diverse team and under pressure.
What We Offer
DRI offers you flexible working hours, travel health insurance, training options, and the opportunity to work as part of an international and diverse team.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, please submit your application (cover letter and CV) here.
Closing date for applications: 04 January at 08.00 AM Beirut time. The position may be filled before the deadline has been reached, so early applications are encouraged.
DRI is committed to diversity and treats everybody equally, independent of gender identity, sex, pregnancy, race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, ability, socio-economic status, political opinion (as long as respectful of democratic principles), or any other status protected by the laws in the locations where we operate.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
12045 Berlin, Germany