Position Title: Project Coordinator – Lebanon (f/m)
Form of Employment: Full-time
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Duration: until 31 December 2017 with possibility of renewal
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
DRI is currently recruiting a full-time Project Coordinator (f/m) for its country presence in Lebanon. In collaboration with, and under supervision of the Country Representative s/he will coordinate the implementation of DRI’s project ‘An Agenda for Decentralisation – Local Governance in Lebanon’. The project consists of 4 major components:
- Analysing the political and legal framework of decentralisation in Lebanon and highlighting international standards in light of DRI’s comparative expertise;
- Identifying needs and challenges faced by local authorities in Lebanon through a survey on public service provision in 36 municipal federations in terms of Solid Waste Management, municipal police, information sharing and citizen participation.
- Advocating for better local governance and service provision through a nation-wide advocacy and awareness-building campaign that involves diversified advocacy materials (workshops, animations, data visualisation, formal and informal meetings with stakeholders).
- Providing legal support and comparative expertise to the Parliamentary Committee that is discussing the Decentralisation Bill.
The project is implemented in close cooperation with a consortium of Lebanese CSOs (NAHNOO, The Lebanese Association for Democratic Elections, Beyond Reform & Development, The Partnership Center for Development & Democracy).
Duties and responsibilities:
The Project Coordinator works under the supervision of the Country Representative and acts as the focal point for coordinating the operational aspects of all activities, events, publications, and other programmatic outputs of the project.
- Lead on the implementation of programme activities;
- Co-design, coordinate and implement the operational aspects of project activities in Lebanon, such as events, workshops, trainings and publications in coordination with the project team;
- Draft concept notes under the supervision of the Country Representative to provide detailed planning for each project activity;
- Provide strategic advice and support to the Country Representative on design and implementation of the project framework and activities drawing on expert knowledge of the Lebanese context;
- Follow political and legal developments relevant to the project;
- Provide support to the development, writing and editing of DRI publications in the field of local governance and decentralisation;
- Support the Country Representative in updating the project workplan/logframe and budget follow-up on a monthly basis, developing M&E framework and tools for the project and collecting, compiling and assessing the M&E data;
- Support the Country Representative in outreach to key stakeholders including members of the consortium, representatives of civil society organisations, members of parliament and (local) government, academia and the media, and in coordinating briefings and meetings;
- Support the Communications and Research Officer in the development and implementation of advocacy activities, including travel to the regions;
- Other duties as required.
- University degree in Law, Political Sciences, Pubic Administration, International Development/Relations, Management or other relevant fields;
- At least 4 years of relevant experience in project coordination in Lebanon;
- Experience working in research institutions, think tanks or international organisations desirable;
- Relevant experience in the area of governance, democratisation, decentralisation is a strong asset;
- IT skills, particularly in Word and Excel, but also PM tools;
- Good communication and negotiation skills and ability to work as part of a culturally diverse team;
- Readiness to travel intensively outside of Beirut;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic is required, French is an asset;
- Ability to deliver under tight deadlines.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer.
Interested applicants should send their application (cover letter and CV) to email@example.com. Please include “Project Coordinator – Lebanon” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. This position is subject to funding.
Closing date for applications is 16 July 2017. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.