Position Title Project Finance Assistant (part-time) – Sri Lanka
Starting Date As soon as possible / 22nd April 2019
Contract Period As soon as possible to the end of September 2019
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide. DRI helps support local ways of promoting the universal right of citizens to participate in the political life of their country, as enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR).
DRI is operating in Sri Lanka since 2016 and has implemented various democratic strengthening projects with the support of the German Federal Foreign Office, the European Union, and the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs. DRI has specifically worked on the promotion of human and labour rights under the GSP+ framework, generated broad stakeholder engagement around the country’s constitutional reform process and provided analysis at the nexus of democracy and technology with a focus on social media. To support its ongoing project implementation, DRI is currently looking for a part-time Project Finance Assistant.
Objectives and Role:
Under the overall supervision of the Finance Manager, the Project Finance Assistant will support financial and administrative tasks to ensure the delivery of high-quality activities at the national, regional, and local level. These activities will include workshops, conferences, trainings and discussion sessions with a variety of participants from civil society (local NGOs and CSOs, activists, trade unions, workers’ collectives etc.), businesses, government representatives, and international partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the Finance Manager in routine matters in relation to administration and financial activities of the project as well as the Country Office;
- Act as the main focal point for the administration of the office including tasks such as inventory management, asset management, facility repairs and maintenance and logistics;
- Update relevant financial reports with transactions and activities on a daily basis;
- Check the accuracy of financial documents forwarded for payments in line with the DRI financial, administrative, procurement, travel and security policies;
- Prepare vouchers, reconciliation of monthly financial reports, scanning of financial documentations etc.;
- Process payments on a regular basis as well as support vendors / suppliers in creating strong documentation for DRI;
- Attend to procurement of project items, office supplies, consumables and other maintenance activities as needed to ensure the delivery of project activities;
- Provide logistical support to project team members with travel arrangements, including visa and tickets, hotel reservations, communication kits, and security arrangements.
- Enrolled in accounting, commerce, economics or (project) management Bachelor’s degree programme;
- Prior experience as a project and finance assistant within a non-governmental organization;
- Demonstrable experience with the financial, logistical, and administrative aspects of event coordination;
- Understanding and experience of procurement, logistics and facility management;
- Strong networking and communication skills and experience working with a range of stakeholders including government, business, civil society;
- Excellent attention to detail and commitment to quality;
- Ability to travel alone to provinces within Sri Lanka;
- Strong proficiency in English, fluency in Sinhala and/or Tamil;
- Understanding of or interest in the political context and democratic reform process in Sri Lanka is desirable;
Duration and Location
The Project Finance Assistant shall be based in DRI country office in Battaramulla with the ability to travel to all districts. The duration of the assignment is six months and shall commence as soon as possible until the end of September 2019 with high possibility of extension subject to funding.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Moreover, DRI offers flexible working hours. The successful candidate will be given an opportunity to go through a learning process with training opportunities on various aspects of project implementation at an international NGO.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to email@example.com. Please include “Sri Lanka Project Finance Assistant 2019” in the subject line. The deadline for applications is 3 April 2019, 23:59. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you are shortlisted, DRI interviews will take place over Skype.