Position Title: Project Manager (Lebanon)
Form of Employment: Full-time
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Duration: December 2019 (renewable, subject to funding)
Location: Beirut and Akkar, Lebanon
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
In the framework of its Lebanon projects “Setting an Agenda for Decentralisation in Lebanon – Phase II”, Municipal Know-How for Host Communities in the Middle East, and “Resilience in Local Governance” (RESLOG), DRI is working with Lebanese civil society organisations and public officials to promote local governance in line with good governance principles.
In 2018, the Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions (SKL/SALAR) launched the “Resilience in Local Governance” (RESLOG) project for Lebanon and Turkey to strengthen resilience, human security and freedom from violence, with a focus on livelihood opportunities, increased access to public services and reduced gender-based violence.
In Lebanon, RESLOG is implemented in the Akkar governorate, a vulnerable area in the north of the country that hosts significant numbers of Syrians. Based on a whole systems approach to local governance and resilience development, RESLOG addresses issues such as capacity gaps, financial circumstances, structures, planning processes, or decision-making procedures of organisations themselves, as well as at looking at interactions between vertical and horizontal actors within the system, and the enabling environment.
DRI Lebanon is currently recruiting a full-time Project Manager who has expertise on decentralisation and is familiar with the work of municipalities and municipal unions in Lebanon. The Project Manager will be responsible for planning, implementing and monitoring all activities, events, publications, and other outputs of the RESLOG project in close cooperation with the Country Representative and Finance and Administration Manager (FAM). The Project Manager also provides input into strategic project design and planning and supports the Country Representative in the overall conceptualisation and management of RESLOG.
Your duties and responsibilities:
Under the supervision of DRI’s Country Representative and in close coordination with the other team members:
- Co-design and lead on the implementation of project activities, such as events, workshops, trainings, research studies and publications;
- Monitor the implementation of project activities and update the project workplan accordingly;
- Develop monitoring and evaluation frameworks and tools, collect and analyse relevant data and compile monitoring reports;
- Ensure gender-mainstreaming in the implementation of all project activities and project monitoring;
- Provide advice and support to the Country Representative on the design and implementation of project frameworks;
- Monitor political, social and legal developments relevant to the projects to be able to suggest modifications to project activities, if appropriate;
- Co-develop, co-draft and review DRI publications;
- Lead on regular project reporting;
- Support the Country Representative in outreach activities involving key stakeholders such as local partners in Akkar;
- Support the Communications and Research Officer in the development and implementation of outreach and advocacy activities, including travel to Akkar;
- Other duties as required.
Qualifications we require:
- University degree in law, public administration, social science, public policy/development studies, urban planning, or other relevant fields;
- Good knowledge of the work of Lebanese municipalities and municipal unions in theory and practice;
- At least three (3) years of relevant professional/research experience in the governance field and fieldwork experience in working with state institutions, municipalities and municipal unions in Lebanon;
- Experience in working with think tanks, research centres and the ability to write in a concise, think-tank style (writing samples/publications may be requested);
- Proven project management and MEL skills;
- IT skills (MS Word and Excel);
- Good communication and negotiation skills and ability to work with a culturally diverse team;
- Fluency in written and spoken Arabic and English.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Women are encouraged to apply!
Moreover, DRI offers you flexible working hours, training opportunities and working as part of an international and multicultural team.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application in one PDF document including cover letter, CV, three references and relevant work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Project Manager (Lebanon)” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. This position is subject to funding. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Please not that the original deadline for applications of 26 October 2018 has been extended until 31 October 2018. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10