Request for Quotations
Interpretation /Translation/Editing Services (EN<>PT)
Praia, Cabo Verde
Type of services:
- Consecutive interpretation
- Simultaneous interpretation
- Written translation
ServiceTimeframe: 20 months
Location: Praia, Cabo Verde
Payment Currency: EUR
Payment Method: Bank transfer based on an issued invoice
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide. In the framework of its EIDHR funded project “Promoting human and labour rights through GSP+”, DRI is currently looking for English <>Portuguese interpretation/translation/editing services. The project is being implemented in numerous countries, including Cabo Verde, which have been granted GSP+ status as part of the EU’s preferential trade scheme.
The project therefore requires the long-term services of an interpreter/translator/editor who will assist in communication between DRI’s HQ project staff based in Berlin and its partner the Cabo Verde National Human Rights Commission (CNDHC) based in Praia. Main purpose of the communications will be to assess progress in the implementation of project activities and to receive feedback. A detailed description of the project will be made available to the service provider before the signing of the long-term agreement in order to allow him/her to get familiar with the content and the lexicon.
Duties and responsibilities:
- The service provider shall interpret/translate/edit (English to Portuguese; Portuguese to English) by ensuring:
- efficient, timeliness and quality interpretation and translation;
- the use of proper terminology based on the nature of meetings and/or documents, as well as accuracy in language and structure;
- confidentiality of translated materials;
- professional and diplomatic demeanour;
- The service provider must be based in Praia, Cabo Verde. S/he must be physically present with our partner for all instances of interpretation;
- The service provider will be available for calls, which will last 45 to 60 minutes, and be available for an additional 15 minutes beforehand to prepare the phone call with the relevant partner in person (expected need: at least one phone call per month). Calls will be arranged in advance and a calendar will be made available with indicative dates;
- Interpreter will be available for the infrequent webinars, which will likely last 1-2 hours per occurrence (content will be shared in advance).
- Translation or editing of some communication materials from English to Portuguese, and of some activity reports from Portuguese to English (expected need: 20 pages every 10 months); S/he is expected to perform terminology research to ensure the accuracy and appropriateness of all translations. S/he is also responsible for ensuring quality and accuracy of the entire document language before submitting it back to DRI;
- Consecutive and/or simultaneous interpretation may be required during conferences, meetings or other project-related events.
- A registered organisation or registered freelancer, business company, non-governmental organisation or academic institution with requisite experience and background in the field of service;
- The service provider must have:
- Demonstrated experience in interpretation and translation services including written translation, consecutive interpretation, and simultaneous interpretation;
- Experience in providing such services for multi-national organisations, inter-government organisations, business companies, and the United Nations Agencies is an advantage;
- Familiarity with the topics of human & labour rights, EU trade policy, UN agencies, and/or civil society participation desirable. More importantly, the translator(s) must be human rights sensitive and be able to translate sensitive issues in appropriate language;
- List of references with minimum two clients, which includes the name of the contact person, title and contact information.
Sending of tenders:
For interested tenderers, please send your tenders, including the following documents, to the email: [email protected]
- Cover Letter
- Company/registered freelancer profile
- CVs of interpreters/translators/editors in service
- Financial quotations listing:
- hourly and daily rates for consecutive interpretation
- hourly and daily rates for simultaneous interpretation
- rates per word/page for written translation
- rates per word/page for editing
- Any discount for long-term services, if applicable
- Two references with full recent contact details
Please include “Interpretation/translation/editing services (EN<>PT)” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity.
Closing date for applications: 23:59 (CEST) 18 April 2018. Please note that incomplete or late applications will not be considered
Quotations will be evaluated on a best value for money basis against the following criteria: Experience, Education, Specialist Knowledge, References, and Financial Offer.
Please note that only quotes satisfying the criteria will be evaluated and contacted.