Position Title: Research Coordinator – Governance & Public Policy
Form of Employment: Full-time
Starting Date: September 2020, subject to external funding
Duration: Until 31 December 2021
Location: Beirut, with travels within Lebanon
Closing date for applications: 31 August 2020, 15:00 local time (Beirut)
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is an international, not-for-profit, non-governmental organisation committed to political participation and democratic governance around the world. DRI is headquartered in Berlin and has country offices in Pakistan, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Tunisia, Lebanon, and Ukraine and works with local partners in several other countries.
Since 2016, DRI has been working with Lebanese civil society organisations and government representatives at the local and national level to strengthen decentralisation in line with good governance principles. The basis for our actions in this regard is explained in our publications.
In line with our belief that democracies are built on the premise that informed citizens actively participate in politics, and who are vigilant in the defence of open, accountable institutions that work for people, our interventions seek to enable multiple actors to come together to express and exchange views and positions on relevant policy issues to develop joint responses.
In the framework of its Lebanon projects, particularly “Resilience in Local Governance” (Reslog), funded by the Government of Sweden and implemented by SKL International, DRI is recruiting a Research Coordinator with a proven research focus on governance and public policy.
Under the overall supervision of DRI’s Country Representative in Lebanon and in close coordination with the Project Manager and other members of the team, you will:
- Conduct research, periodic assessments, desk reviews and liaise with external experts and consultants to draft, co-develop, and review all research and policy outputs in a crisp, executive style that is accessible to DRI’s audience;
- Produce actionable policy recommendations, memos, comparative tables, compilations of good practices worldwide, and various knowledge products on the topics of good governance, particularly with regards to Public Procurement reform and Public-Private Partnerships (integrity, transparency, fairness, equality, efficiency, effectiveness, and accountability);
- Support in developing and populating an Online Resource Portal that includes policy material intended for municipal officials, e.g. model bylaws, Standard Bidding Documents (SBDs), template decisions, sample Terms of Reference (ToR), laws and regulations, policy materials, and step-by-step guidance (“how-to”) through the administrative procedures ;
- Finalise and proof-read all reports, publications and written outputs to ensure high-quality delivery;
- Monitor and report on the implementation of project activities as well as on political, social and legal developments relevant to the country projects;
- Support in monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) and gender mainstreaming efforts;
- Support the implementation of activities and events in Akkar and other regions, incl. documentation, concept development, and outreach to DRI partners, donors and relevant stakeholders (civil society, public officials, academia and media actors);
- Support programme development as well as the design and implementation of project frameworks and grant/proposal writing;
- Coordinate closely with the Legal Research Officer in the development of policy research;
- Coordinate closely with the Communications Officer in the development and implementation of communications content, outreach and advocacy activities.
Your Skills and Experience
- At least 4–5 years of professional experience in conducting research, assessments, desk reviews in the fields of democracy development, governance, citizen participation, human rights, preferably in an international NGO, think tank or research centre;
- Proven research experience on governance and public policy issues in Lebanon and/or the MENA region;
- Master’s Degree in social sciences, political science, public administration, development studies, public policy, law or a related field;
- Knowledge of the following thematic areas is a strong asset: local governance, public-private partnerships, public procurement reform, anti-corruption, solid waste management, good governance;
- Strong coordination skills with the ability to effectively coordinate with high-level stakeholders, expert consultants, and project partners;
- Outstanding attention to detail and a strong sense of thoroughness, accuracy, and consistency;
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office (particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- Strong communication, presentation, and negotiation skills;
- Ability to work as part of a diverse team;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic; French is a plus.
What We Offer
DRI offers you a job with flexible working hours, contribution to private health insurance, and the opportunity to work in a diverse team in Beirut, where everybody is on first name terms with each other.
How To Apply
If you are interested in this position, please send your application, consisting of
- a cover letter,
- your CV, and
- your publication record or relevant writing samples
to firstname.lastname@example.org, mentioning “Research Coordinator – Lebanon” in the subject line.
Closing date for applications is 31 August 2020, 15:00 local time (Beirut). The position may be filled before the deadline, so early applications are encouraged. This position is subject to external funding.
DRI is committed to diversity and does not discriminate in employment based upon gender (including pregnancy), race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, ability, socio-economic status, or any other status protected by the laws in the locations where we operate.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10