Position Title: Research Coordinator
Form of Employment: Full-time
Starting Date: July 2020, subject to external funding
Duration: Until 31 December 2021
Location: Beirut, with travel to the Baalback-Hermel, North-Lebanon and Akkar.
Closing date for applications: 17 June 2020, 15:00 local time (Beirut)
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is an international, not-for-profit, non-governmental organisation committed to political participation and democratic governance around the world. DRI is headquartered in Berlin and has country offices in Pakistan, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Tunisia, Lebanon, and Ukraine and works with local partners in several other countries.
Since 2016, DRI has been working with Lebanese civil society organisations and government representatives at the local and national level to strengthen decentralisation in line with good governance principles. The basis for our actions in this regard is explained in our publications.
In line with our belief that democracies are built on the premise that informed citizens actively participate in politics, and who are vigilant in the defence of open, accountable institutions that work for people, our interventions seek to enable multiple actors to come together to express and exchange views and positions on relevant policy issues to develop joint responses.
In the framework of the EU-Madad funded MASAR programme, DRI plans to launch regional policy consultations to develop municipal action plans and elaborate recommendations for Integrated Solid Waste Management (ISWM) policies, based on the needs of host, refugee and IDP groups. The project aims to:
- Enhance cooperation between communities, local authorities, and central government to devise SWM policies that fill gaps in service delivery.
- Strengthen capacities and coordination between communities and local authorities to develop strategic responses to SWM needs.
Under the supervision of DRI’s Country Representative and in close coordination with other members of the team, you will:
- Co-design and lead the implementation of all research outputs and project activities, such as events, workshops, trainings, and publications;
- Lead the organisation of regional consultations and policy dialogue events with DRI partners, donors and relevant stakeholders;
- Conduct research, periodic assessments, desk reviews and liaise with external experts to co-develop, co-draft and review the action plans and policy briefs produced;
- Monitor and report on the implementation of project activities, and update the project workplan accordingly;
- Monitor and report on political, social and legal developments relevant to the country projects;
- Coordinate with the Finance Unit when planning deliverables and sign off on small project expenditures in accordance with the project budget;
- Travel in the different regions of Lebanon to ensure sound implementation of project activities;
- Develop monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) frameworks and tools, collect and analyse relevant data and compile MEL reports in accordance with DRI’s MEL and donor guidelines;
- Ensure gender and diversity mainstreaming in the implementation of all project activities and project monitoring;
- Support programme development as well as the design and implementation of project frameworks and grant/proposal writing;
- Support in outreach activities involving key stakeholders such as donor organisations, civil society partners, public officials, academia and media actors;
- Closely coordinate with the Communications Officer in the development and implementation of outreach and advocacy activities.
Your Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in social sciences, political science, public administration, development, public policy, law or a related field;
- At least 5 years of professional experience in conducting research, assessments, desk reviews in the fields of democracy development, governance, citizen participation, human rights, preferably in an international NGO, think tank or research centre;
- Experience in coordinating projects funded by a variety of donors, including the European Union, is an asset;
- Knowledge of local governance and ISWM systems is a strong asset;
- Strong coordination skills with the ability to effectively coordinate with high-level stakeholders and project partners;
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office (particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- Strong communication, presentation, and negotiation skills;
- Ability to work as part of a diverse team;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic. Knowledge of French is a plus.
What We Offer
DRI offers you a job with flexible working hours, contribution to private health insurance, and the opportunity to work in a diverse team in Beirut, where everybody is on first name terms with each other.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application, consisting of (1) a cover letter, (2) your CV, (3) publication record or writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with email@example.com in cc.
Closing date for applications is 17 June 2020, 15:00 local time (Beirut). The position may be filled before the deadline, so early applications are encouraged. This position is subject to external funding.
DRI is committed to diversity and does not discriminate in employment based upon gender (including pregnancy), race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, ability, socio-economic status, or any other status protected by the laws in the locations where we operate.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10