Position Title: Security Expert (f/m) – Lebanon
Form of Employment: Short-term assignment (training and desk work)
Starting Date: 21 August 2018
Duration: Up to 2 working days
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
In the framework of its Lebanon projects “Setting an Agenda for Decentralisation in Lebanon – Phase II”, Municipal Know-How for Host Communities in the Middle East, and “Resilience in Local Governance” (RESLOG), DRI is working with Lebanese civil society organisations and public officials to promote local governance in line with good governance principles.
In Lebanon, RESLOG will be implemented in the Akkar governorate, a vulnerable area in the north of the country that hosts significant numbers of Syrians. RESLOG addresses issues such as capacity gaps, financial circumstances, structures, planning processes, or decision-making procedures of organisations themselves, as well as at looking at interactions between vertical and horizontal actors within the system, and the enabling environment.
Furthermore, DRI is active in coordinating country-wide project partnerships between Lebanese and German municipalities, while concurrently leading an awareness-raising and advocacy campaign for better local governance drawing on a targeted, fact-based research on municipal service delivery in the following three sectors: solid waste management; public safety (role of the municipal police); government transparency and citizen participation.
DRI is currently recruiting a Security Trainer (f/m) for its country office in Lebanon. In collaboration with, and under supervision of DRI’s Security Focal Point and the Lebanon Country Representative you will check, and if necessary, revise DRI Lebanon’s security documents and policies and hold a one-day security awareness and response training workshop for DRI Lebanon’s staff (5 staff members).
Your duties and responsibilities:
- In cooperation with the DRI Lebanon staff, discuss and revise the following security relevant documents and policies, particularly with regard to conducting activities in Akkar:
- Emergency SOPs, Checklists, Contacts
- Security Policy
- Travel Policy
- Hold a one-day training workshop on security awareness and response on the following topics:
- Responding to threats
- Crime Scenario
- Kidnapping scenario
- Shooting scenario
- Terrorist attack scenario
- Office Evacuation Scenarios and Exfiltration Routes
- Other relevant duties as may be required
Qualifications we require:
- At least 5 years of work experience in consulting international organisations in at-risk countries on security issues, with at least 2 years of experience of working in Lebanon
- At least 5 years of experience as a trainer
- In-depth knowledge with the Lebanese context and its various risks for on-the-ground work by NGOs
- Experience of working in Akkar governorate an advantage
- Fluency in written and spoken English, Arabic is a strong asset
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Women are encouraged to apply!
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter, CV, and security document or policy samples you have drafted) to email@example.com. Please include “Security Trainer (f/m) – Lebanon” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity.
Closing date for applications is 10 August 2018. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10