Position Title: Senior Constitutional Expert
Duration: The first mission will start 11 Feb and be completed by 18 Feb. Future missions and dates will be subject to planning with DRI’s CSO partner(s)
Location: The Senior Constitutional Expert will work from the DRI office in Yangon, with travel to Naypyitaw as appropriate
Democracy Reporting International is implementing the EU-funded project, STEP to Democracy – Support to Electoral Processes and Democracy in Myanmar, leading the programme component on civil society and support to CSO partners to develop their advocacy and monitoring capacities in the democratic reform process. More specifically, this programme component supports domestic observer CSOs on legal framework analysis and electoral reforms advocacy, while also working with CSOs and other stakeholders on key aspects of broader democratic governance, including constitutional reforms.
Objective and Role
Through its partner, the Myanmar Institute for Democracy (MID), DRI is implementing a series of roundtables exploring different aspects of constitutional reform. The next roundtable will focus on constitutional reform during peace negotiations and the key principles related to such processes. The project therefore requires the services of an experienced Senior Constitutional Expert to participate in our roundtables and provide comparative insight to civil society, government, and other stakeholders.
Task and Deliverables
The Senior Constitutional Expert will be expected to:
- Act as resource person at a multi-stakeholder roundtable on constitutional reform (and future roundtables), held in cooperation with the Myanmar Institute for Democracy (MID);
- Hold meetings and briefings with key stakeholders on constitutional reforms;
- Facilitate a consultation with local civil society organisations on DRI’s Handbook for Democratic Constitutions;
- Advise on the design of the Myanmar Democracy Fellowship and of the Constitutional Café.
- Advanced university degree in law, political science, or a related field;
- At least 5 years experience in democracy support with a focus on constitution-making processes and subject matter expertise (fundamental rights, devolution of power, electoral system design, citizen participation and consensus building);
- Experience in delivering technical assistance, trainings or capacity-building on democratic constitutions and human rights;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the constitutional and legal frameworks in Myanmar an asset;
- Working experience in Myanmar or the wider region is considered an asset;
- Excellent command of English is required;
- Excellent research and reporting skills are required.
For interested applicants, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to email@example.com with “Senior Constitutional Expert” as the subject heading and supporting documents in the following format: SURNAME_FIRSTNAME_DOCUMENTNAME.
Closing date for applications: 3rd February 2017. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.