Position Title: Senior Decentralisation and Federalism Expert
Duration: The dates for the mission are approximately 26 July until 2 August
Location: The Senior Decentralisation and Federalism Expert will work from the DRI office in Yangon, with travel to Naypyitaw or other locations, as appropriate
Democracy Reporting International is implementing the EU-funded project, STEP to Democracy – Support to Electoral Processes and Democracy in Myanmar, leading the programme component on civil society and support to CSO partners to develop their advocacy and monitoring capacities in the democratic reform process. More specifically, this programme component supports domestic observer CSOs on legal framework analysis and electoral reforms advocacy, while also working with CSOs and other stakeholders on key aspects of broader democratic governance, including constitutional reforms.
Objective of the Assignment
DRI is implementing a series of activities on constitutional reform, exploring different aspects of constitutional reform processes. The next roundtable will involve a focus on decentralisation and federalism and how state structure is often discussed in the context peace processes.. The project therefore requires the services of an experienced Senior Decentralisation and Federalism Expert to participate in our roundtables and provide comparative expertise to civil society, government, and other stakeholders.
Tasks and Deliverables
- Act as a resource person at a multi-stakeholder roundtable on decentralisation and federalism in constitutional reform and peace processes;
- Act as the lead resource person at a DRI Constitutional Café session focused on decentralisation and federalism;
- Conduct briefings and meetings with key stakeholders engaged in the constitutional reform and peace processes, including government and civil society groups, providing comparative expertise on decentralisation and federalism in political transition and conflict transformation processes.
Education and Qualifications
- Advanced university degree in law, political science, or a related field;
- At least 10 years experience in democracy support with a focus on constitution-making processes and subject matter expertise in federalism and decentralisation;
- Experience in delivering technical assistance, trainings or capacity-building on democratic constitutions and human rights;
- Experience as researcher, panellist and lecturer on comparative federalism and decentralisation required
- Working experience in Myanmar or the wider region is considered an asset;
- Excellent command of English is required;
- Excellent presentation and inter-personal skills are required.
For interested applicants, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to email@example.com with “Senior Decentralisation and Federalism Expert (Myanmar)” as the subject heading and supporting documents in the following format: SURNAME_FIRSTNAME_DOCUMENTNAME.
Closing date for applications: 19th May 2017. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.