“TERMS OF REFERENCE”
“Support to Electoral Processes and Democracy in Myanmar” Project
“Myanmar Vision 2030: Supporting Voices for Pluralism” Project
Senior Social Media Analyst
Form of Employment: Long Term consultancy contract
Position Location: Desk work
Reporting to: DRI Country Representative Myanmar
Contract Period: 60 fee-days, expected to start in 15 August 2019 for an initial duration of 12 months, with the possibility of extension subject to availability of funds and performance.
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
The project Myanmar Vision 2030: Supporting Voices for Pluralism will conduct social media monitoring to unveil how hate and violent discourses directed at minorities spread on social media. It will provide data on how malicious actors use the platform and at the same time identify online voices for the protection of diversity and pluralism.
As part of STEP Democracy, a project implemented by a consortium of 9 national and local organisations and working with the Union Election Commission (UEC), political parties and civil society organisations (CSOs), campaigning in social media will be monitored together with a local partner CSO.
To support its efforts under both projects, DRI is recruiting a Senior Social Media Analyst to contribute to DRI’s social media monitoring work in DRI’s Myanmar office. The expert will be part of the technical team developing a methodology for data collection, coding and analysis, building the capacity of local partners in social media monitoring and contributing to quarterly public reports.
- Assess, together with DRI‘s in-house Social Media Expert the feasibility of the research regarding data access and social media platforms in Maynmar and adjust the research plan accordingly;
- Prepare, code, and monitor the scraping of relevant data during the monitoring period, ensuring data reliability and retention, in close coordination with the coders embedded in national partner CSOs;
- Develop the classification and coding system of data for relevant research questions and prepare an efficient system for hand-annotation of data;
- Analyse data and produce visualizations to communicate insights and findings, as well as advise on the design and presentation of reporting;
- Provide input into written reports;
- Other relevant duties, as required.
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience in electoral assistance, social media monitoring and democratic reforms; experience in Myanmar will be considered an asset;
- At least 2 years experience in social media monitoring using open source or private social listening tools;
- Demonstrated expertise in a programming language or other tools for data analysis and data visualization (such as R, Python, or Tableau);
- Experience conducting open source investigations across a range of disciplines, including human rights, information operations, and online harassment;
- Relevant publications on the influence of social media in politics will be considered an asset.
DRI values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people from diverse backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply!
Deadline for applications is 30 August 2019. Shortlisted candidates may be contacted before the deadline.
Candidates should submit a CV and a Cover Letter to [email protected] with ‘Senior Social Media Analyst’ in the subject line.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300 – Fax +49 30 27877300-10