Form of Employment: Full-time
Starting Date: 1 February 2021
Duration: One year, with the possibility of extension
Location: Tunis, Tunisia, with possibility of extended periods of remote work
DRI is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI accompanies and engages people who are working to build, preserve and defend democratic and accountable institutions – especially in moments of significant change. The organisation supports the building of democracies through public debates, participation and accountable policymaking, and helps defending democratic governance.
In the MENA region, DRI has been accompanying democratic processes in various countries since 2008. With three country offices in Tunisia, Lebanon and Libya, DRI benefits from solid comparative knowledge on governance processes in the region and an extensive network of national experts and partner organisations. Since 2017, DRI has been increasingly active in the field of social media monitoring (SMM), strengthening local capacities to monitor social media during elections, creating evidence in different countries, gathering expert organisations, producing methodologies and informing the public and expert debate.
In the framework of the project “Countering Disinformation and Hate Speech in the MENA”, DRI will seek to contribute to strengthened safeguarding of democratic processes and society’s resilience to disinformation and hate speech in the region. DRI will work with partner organisations from five countries (Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Sudan, Tunisia), strengthening local capacities to monitor and analyse disinformation and hate speech during key national democratic processes, while building a regional network to allow for comparative analysis and peer learning. The project also seeks to raise awareness of decision makers, tech companies, and civic target groups on the project’s findings, while developing national and regional recommendations (including possible regulation) to combat online disinformation and hate speech.
DRI is recruiting a full-time Senior Social Media and Data Analyst for the project office in Tunis. Under the supervision of the North Africa Representative, and in close collaboration with the Project Coordinators and DRI HQ’s Social Media team, you will be leading on all technical matters related to SMM. This includes the related capacity strengthening of partners, support of partners in developing SMM methodologies and analysis frameworks, and the production of regional SMM reports, while providing overall quality control and ensuring regional coherence. You will also represent DRI as a social media expert during relevant events and meetings.
- Lead capacity-development of CSO partners in social media monitoring (trainings, on-going support) in close cooperation with DRI HQ’s SMM team, including on-site training if the circumstances allow:
- Lead on the design and development of a regional SMM approach and support partners in developing of SMM methodologies and analysis frameworks, ensuring that research frameworks are aligned with DRI’s existing methodologies, and coordinating closely with DRI HQ’s SMM team;
- Advise partners on access to social media data, coding, and monitoring of relevant data during SMM monitoring periods, including the development of data classification and coding schemes for relevant research questions and efficient manual data annotation systems; while ensuring data reliability and retention;
- Lead on the design and production of regional SMM reports, including reviewing partner reports, producing data visualization, and advising on design and presentation;
- Ensure gender and diversity mainstreaming in the design of methodologies and analysis frameworks, and in the review of reports;
- Represent DRI as a social media expert in events, seminars, workshops, etc.
- Contribute to development of public policy recommendations on oversight and regulation of social media, establishment of relevant partnerships and regional networks, in close coordination with the North Africa Representative;
- Contribute to project reporting, activity planning, coordination with partners, and other related duties as required in close coordination with the Project Coordinators.
Skills and Experience
- University degree in statistics, computer science, digital journalism political science, open-source intelligence (OSINT) or other relevant field. A combined academic background of data analysis and social science is an asset. OR: At least three years of relevant training and experience in social media monitoring and analysis, data analytics, hate speech and disinformation research, or other relevant field can make up for the lack of a formal degree.
- At least 2 years of experience in data analysis for politics or social issues or data journalism;
- Experience working with relevant tools/APIs to collect data from social media;
- Knowledge of a programming language to analyse and produce data visualizations from large, unstructured datasets (Python, R, etc.);
- Proven experience with writing qualitative or quantitative reports in a concise, interesting and visually appealing manner demonstrating strong writing skills;
- Experience in translating relevant complex topics into user-friendly presentations and conveying them suitably for various groups (e.g., trainings related to digital literacy, data analysis or coding);
- Native-level fluency in Arabic and fluency in English;
- Willingness to travel to countries of operation, if circumstances and security allow;
- Excellent interpersonal, intercultural, and communication skills;
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing project circumstances and the needs and expectations the different partner organisations, colleagues at the Tunis office and DRI HQ
- Advanced written and spoken French;
- Experience in project-based work while working with international organisations, CSOs, tech companies or digital communication agencies;
- Knowledge of MENA political landscape and stakeholders;
- Network encompassing tech companies and other relevant stakeholders in the region;
- Previous experience with public speaking
What we offer:
DRI offers you flexible working hours, travel health insurance, and the opportunity to work as part of an international and diverse team. The competitive remuneration for this position is aligned with DRI’s remuneration range for national employees and consultants. Applicants may elect to work remotely, provided they can stay at regular intervals in the Tunis office for coordination and training of partners, in addition to several shorter travels to other partner countries.
How to apply:
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV, as well as relevant samples of previous work (reports, analyses, data visualisation work, training materials, etc.) to [email protected], indicating the title of the position in the subject line. This position is subject to funding.
Closing date for applications: 11 January 2021. The position may be filled before the deadline has been reached, so early applications are encouraged.
DRI is committed to diversity and treats everybody equally, independent of gender identity, sex, pregnancy, race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, ability, socio-economic status, political opinion (as long as respectful of democratic principles), or any other status protected by the laws in the locations where we operate.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
Elbestr. 28 – 29
2045 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10