Position Title: Social Media Coders (f/m; multiple positions) – Sri Lanka
Form of Employment: Consultancy
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Duration: 10-12 working days between 29 October – 19 November 2018
Location: Sri Lanka / Home-based with frequent online meetings
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide. DRI has been present in Sri Lanka since 2016 and has worked on human rights compliance and constitutional reform issues in Sri Lanka with the support of the German Federal Foreign Office and the European Union (EU).
Hashtag Generation is a non-profit organisation led by a group of young tech-savvy, Sri Lankan volunteers registered in Sri Lanka. #Generation advocates for meaningful civic and political participation of youth, especially young women. The group adopts a non-partisan approach and works with the strong conviction that decision-making at all levels should remain transparent and inclusive in order to remain sustainable and to build lasting peace in Sri Lanka.
DRI and Hashtag Generation are jointly working on the project “Strengthening rights-based citizenship and social cohesion in Sri Lanka by countering anti-democratic trends online and offline” funded by the Embassy of Switzerland to Sri Lanka and the Maldives. The project focuses on the analysis and discussion of anti-democratic social media content to counter misinformation and hate speech in Sri Lanka following the outbreak of sectarian violence and its partial facilitation through social media earlier this year.
DRI is currently recruiting four Social Media Coders for the implementation of its joint project with Hashtag Generation in Sri Lanka. In collaboration with, and under supervision of the Social Media Expert and Project Manager you will be coding of social media content scraped from Facebook and Twitter.
Your duties and responsibilities:
- Take part in an introductory training on social media analysis and manual coding;
- Assist DRI’s Social Media Expert in manual coding of relevant Sri Lankan social media pages;
- Interpret the message of social media posts and comments to be coded and provide inputs on the content analysed by DRI;
- Provide narratives, i.e. short stories that serve as an example of the data that is being coded, to be used for the final report of the project.
Qualifications we require:
- Academic background in politics, media, law or other relevant fields;
- Knowledge of ongoing political and social reform debates in Sri Lanka;
- Strong analytical skills to identify content, abstract data and provide analysis thereof;
- Profound understanding of the (social) media landscape in Sri Lanka;
- Proficiency in key computer applications, such as Excel;
- Fluency in writing and reading in Sinhala and English and/or Tamil and English;
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Women are encouraged to apply!
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to email@example.com. Please include “Social Media Coders” in the subject line and indicate the language you would be working in (Sinhala or Tamil). Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below. Closing date for applications: 26 October 2018, 23:59 local time. The positions may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10