Form of Employment: Short-term assignment
Starting Date: 27 November 2017
Duration: Until the 23rd of December 2017
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
With funding from the German Foreign Office, DRI Lebanon is implementing the project called “An Agenda for Decentralisation – Local Governance in Lebanon”. The project seeks to frame the debate on decentralisation and set an agenda for decentralisation in Lebanon. DRI therefore works with Lebanese civil society organisations and government representatives at the local and national level to enhance decentralisation in line with principles of good governance.
In the framework of this project, DRI Lebanon has conducted a nation-wide survey on public service provision at the local/municipal level. The survey targeted 37 municipal federations (a.k.a. Unions of Municipalities) in all the regions and districts of Lebanon. Based on the collected data, DRI produced an analytical report in Arabic highlighting key findings and policy recommendations. We are looking for a specialised translator to translate the report into English, as well as a follow-up publication compiling key policy recommendations and a way forward.
Tasks and Deliverables:
- Specialised translation of an analytical report on public service provision in Lebanese municipal federations in three areas of activity: Solid Waste Management, Security and Municipal Police, Transparency and Citizen Participation. The report is approximately 15,000 words;
- Specialised translation of a Policy Brief with key legal and policy recommendations for a roadmap for decentralisation and local governance in Lebanon (approx. 4,000 words).
Qualifications and Experience
- A university degree in Translation or equivalent, with minimum 5 years of practitioner’s experience in the specialized field of public policy and governance. Familiarity with legal and public administration terminologies is a strong asset;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Fluency in English and Arabic is a requirement.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter, CV and translation samples reflecting your work – Arabic to English on public policy and/or governance) to email@example.com. Please include “Specialised Translator (f/m)” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity.
Closing date for applications: 19 November 2017. Early applications are encouraged.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview within one week after expiration of the deadline.