STEP2 Democracy – Support to Electoral Processes and Democracy in Myanmar Phase II Sub-Grant Controller
Form of Employment: Medium-Term consultancy
Position Location: Online or Yangon-based (depending on Covid 19 restrictions impacting DRI activities)
Reporting lines: Head of Grants and Programme Management
Contract Period: July 2020-January 2021
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
As part of the EU funded programme “STEP Democracy Phase II”, DRI will provide technical, operational, and capacity building assistance to approximately 4 CSOs to work on domestic election observation, women political participation and social media monitoring.
DRI is looking for the services of a Sub-Grant Controller who will oversee compliance with all aspects of the sub-delegation agreements, including compliance with DRI and donor rules and regulations as well as DRI’s accounting requirements.
Objective and Role
The consultant will be responsible for the administration of the Sub-Delegation Agreement DRI will enter into with local partners and monitor compliance in terms of operational plan and financial accounting. The Sub-Grant Controller will be tracking project progress to ensure timelines as agreed in the workplans and review the financial reporting. A substantial amount of the consultant’s work will be dedicated to coordinating accounting and financial reporting and controlling financial reports for accuracy and meeting of donor and DRI policies.
- Provide capacity building and training to DRI sub-delegates on administration and finance as per agreed training plans and in cooperation with DRI team and technical-electoral consultants;
- Ensure financial reports and MEL reports are received on time;
- Review financial reports to ensure compliance with donor rules and regulations, and DRI policies and procedures;
- Participate in the recruitment process of Partner financial and administrative staff as needed;
- Track project progress, incl. highlight delays to DRI Management
- Propose additional training requirements, as identified through financial report process
Yangon, with possible travel to project locations within Myanmar as required (e.g. to review regular financial reports, payment request, audits).
- Minimum BSc degree in relevant field;
- Experience in project finance management, familiarity with EU grant contract regulations;
- Experience/interest in programme management and project lifecycle management will be an asset
- Interest in politics, elections, human rights;
- Analytical and critical thinking skills;
Detail oriented, willingness to work on manual/excel-based accounting systems;
- Excellent organisational, planning, and analytical skills, adaptable and flexible;
- Strong training/mentoring skills, motivated to work with local CSO;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and influencing skills with an ability to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Experience working with local partners and/or INGOs will be an asset;
- Fluent in English required, Burmese an asset
DRI values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Women are encouraged to apply.
Deadline for applications is 23rd June.
Candidates should submit a Cover Letter and CV to email@example.com with ‘Subgrant Controller (Myanmar)’ in the subject line.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10