Looking for: Expert in Solid Waste Management (SWM)
Assignment title: Drafting a Policy Brief on SWM in Lebanon
Form of employment: Short-term consultancy
Contract Period: Until 31 October 2019
Start Date: As soon as possible
Deadline: 5 September 2019, 12:00 PM local time (Beirut, Lebanon)
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
In the framework of its project “Setting an Agenda for Decentralisation – Phase II”, funded by the German Federal Foreign Office, DRI is working with Lebanese civil society organisations and public officials to promote decentralisation and a public debate on local governance in line with good governance principles.
To do this, DRI Lebanon has conducted three large-scale surveys, in 2017 and 2018, assessing the role of the three tiers of government (municipalities, unions of municipalities and national government authorities) in public service delivery, with a focus on Integrated Solid Waste Management (ISWM). This was in order to understand the needs and challenges of local and national authorities and develop concrete policy recommendations that support the decentralisation process.
On 6 July 2019, DRI held a workshop with municipal officials, CSOs and practitioners and wishes to build on this activity to lead a policy discussion around ISWM with the involvement of Lebanese policymakers and local communities later this year.
Objective of this assignment
DRI is looking for an Expert to draft a Policy Brief of 2,500–3,000 words on Integrated Solid Waste Management with a focus on decentralisation as an enabling framework, citizen participation through user inclusivity, and financial sustainability of SWM systems using cost-recovery schemes in Lebanon.
The copyright of the publication is the exclusive property of DRI.
Your duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision of DRI’s Country Representative, the expert will draft a Policy Brief as per the following guidelines:
- The brief must focus on decentralisation, user inclusivity and cost-recovery systems as sustainability factors for a successful ISWM.
- Based on joint discussions with DRI provide recommendations for Integrated Solid Waste Management with a focus on decentralisation as an enabling framework.
- Conduct a literature review of DRI’s existing SWM publications, activity reports and brief context analysis of the current SWM challenges in Lebanon.
- The manuscript should not exceed 3,000 words, including an Executive Summary with concrete policy recommendations.
- The writing should be crisp and concise and follow a think tank style. The written language is British English.
- The expert must be available in person, or remotely, for regular meetings with DRI throughout the reviewing process.
Qualifications we require:
- Master’s degree or PhD in Environmental Engineering, Social Science, Political Science, Economics, Law or equivalent.
- At least five (5) years of practitioner’s experience in local governance and SWM in Lebanon and/or abroad. Comparative expertise is a strong asset.
- Excellent writing and communication skills and demonstrated research experience.
- Fluency in English is a requirement. Knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
DRI is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. We strongly encourage qualified females to apply for this position.
Interested candidates should sent their application by 5 September 2019, 12:00 pm local time (Beirut). Please include (1) a cover letter, (2) your CV, (3) samples of similar assignments, (4) three references, and (5) a quotation to [email protected] cc’ing [email protected]. Please mention SWM Expert (Lebanon) in the subject line and refer to the source where you have found this opportunity.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10
Note: This call does not entail any commitment on the part of DRI, either financial or otherwise. DRI may cancel the call any time without assigning any reason.
 DRI. (2017). Public Service Provision in Lebanese Municipal Unions: National Survey Report. Beirut: DRI.