Form of Employment: short-term consultancy
Starting Date: 23 October 2020
Duration: 5 days (1-day deskwork), (4 days of online training, 2 x two days)
Location: Remote Deskwork
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
In Libya, DRI has been supporting the constitution-drafting process and the work of Libyan civil society organisations on topics related to the constitution, human rights and local governance. Under this project, DRI worked with its local partners and networks to create a conducive environment for a democratic transition. DRI, in close cooperation with its local partners, implements awareness-raising activities among citizens on the relevance of democratic milestones of the transition and facilitates exchange between citizens and relevant political and institutional actors.
DRI provided 9 sub-grants to civil society organisations on projects related to civic engagement and awareness-raising on a democratic transition. As part of this, each organisation implemented a 2 – 3 months’ project in their local communities which were finalised by mid-September 2020. As partner organisations are still facing difficulties on reporting their activities and successes, DRI wants to hold a training for the partners on how to demonstrate, package and communicate the results and impact of their projects in making change and showcase some of their success stories. The sessions will be held in Arabic.
DRI is therefore looking for a short-term Trainer on Producing Change Stories for its DRI Libya Office. In collaboration with, and under the supervision of the Project Manager, you will develop a training methodology and hold the two two-day trainings in Arabic language.
- Review the narrative reports submitted by the participants to assess their levels, weaknesses, and areas where specific focus is needed.
- Review the draft change stories submitted by partners before the training to help tailor the training to their needs and the identified gaps.
- Discuss with DRI staff the methodology of the proposed training.
- Design and deliver four sessions to take part in October 2020 for a total number of 18 participants on how to package/showcase their change stories.
- Employ a hands-on approach during the training to produce the change stories as a training output.
- Write a report after the event with recommendations on the way forward within a week of delivering the training.
- Other relevant duties, as required.
- Concept note including methodology and outline of the proposed training package
- Complete training package including training outline and participants guide and visual aids for the two-day training on developing change stories that show impact/outcomes of development projects to be submitted to DRI at least one week before the event for approval.
- Delivery of the 2-day training twice for a total of 18 participants.
- Final report with recommendations on improving DRI partners’ capacities in Libya to be sent within a week of the event. This report should also include pre- and post-assessment results and an additional assessment of what the main changes between the submitted draft stories and the result of the training.
Required Language of the training and deliverables: Arabic. Report to be delivered by the expert will be expected in English.
Your Skills and Experience:
- University degree in international development or other relevant fields;
- At least 5 years of work experience on capacity development with civil society organisations;
- Proven experience with conducting interactive and practical trainings online via Zoom or other similar platforms;
- Proven experience in training on reporting and drafting of success stories;
- Proven experience with remote follow up and coaching;
- Knowledge of Libyan civil society organisations;
- Knowledge of how to mainstream gender and diversity aspects into reporting;
- Good communication and negotiation skills;
- Ability to work as part of a diverse team;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic.
- Experience with monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL), especially most significant change (MSC) and impact measurement.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (CV, concept note on how you propose to do the training and your daily rate) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Trainer on Producing Change Stories – Libya” in the subject line and refer to the source where you have found this opportunity. This position is subject to funding. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 16 October 2020. The position may be filled before the deadline has been reached, so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
DRI is committed to diversity and does not discriminate in employment based upon gender (including pregnancy), race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, ability, socio-economic status, or any other status protected by the laws in the locations where we operate.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10