Position Title: Trainers for civil society capacity building (International/Local)
Position Location: assignments foresee traveling within Ukraine (Kyiv, Dnipro, Odessa, Lviv, Kharkiv, Vinnytsia, Mariupol)
Contract Period: Short term assignments from September/October 2016 onwards
Brief description of programme: Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
DRI has been present in Ukraine since September 2014. Together with the Institute of International Relations of the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, DRI has worked with major Ukrainian civic initiatives to provide systematic monitoring and reporting on the key political reforms: constitutional reform, judiciary reform, decentralisation, electoral law reform.
We are currently looking for international and local trainers to build capacities of Ukrainian civil society groups (CSOs), youth organisations and students, lawyers and journalists for monitoring, analysis and advocacy for reforms. Selected specialists will be included in a roster to be called on for specific assignments in the course of the project (project duration 2016-2018).
Duties and responsibilities:
- Prepare and conduct trainings/workshops for Ukrainian CSOs, youth organisations, lawyers, political activists and journalists to strengthen their capacity to monitor, analyse, and advocate for reforms, as well as to build synergies between CSOs across regions of Ukraine.
- Prepare and deliver activities for young lecturers, students, journalists, lawyers, politicians and community activists to raise their awareness of, and participation, in democratic governance (i.e. student debates, workshops, simulations, etc.).
- Closely cooperate with the project team in Kyiv and Berlin, DRI’s partners in Ukraine and with selected international consultants.
- Any additional tasks as might be agreed upon with DRI’s Ukraine Team Leader.
Required qualifications and experience:
- University degree related to democratic governance and development, such as Political Science, Law, International Relations, Journalism or other social sciences.
- At least five years of work experience in democratic governance or related field.
- Proven track record of advising CSOs, youth organisations, academic institutions to strengthen their capacity for monitoring, analysis, advocacy and communication of reforms as well as building synergy among civil society organisations working in the area of democratic, political reforms.
- Skills in training, strategic planning, partnership building, process facilitation, and reporting.
- Excellent knowledge (good understanding for international experts) of the on-going political and legal reforms in Ukraine and broader context.
- Familiarity with the civil society landscape in Ukraine and in its regions.
- Ability to travel to and within Ukraine.
- Demonstrable report-writing and presentation skills in English – for international experts; and in Ukrainian – for local experts.
- Excellent team player skills.
Closing date for applications: 24 August 2016 (midnight CET).
Interested applicants should send their applications (cover letter, CV and three contacts for references) in one pdf file to [email protected] including ‘Trainers for civil society capacity building’ in the subject line.
Due to the number of applications DRI typically receives only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. Applicants may be contacted before the deadline.