Position Title: Translator (EN <> AR) – Lebanon (f/m)
Form of Employment: Short-Term Consultancy, desk-work
Starting Date: April 2017
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
In the framework of its Lebanon Project “An Agenda for Decentralisation – Local Governance in Lebanon”, DRI is currently recruiting a Translator (EN <> AR) (f/m) for a short-term assignment. The 12-month project aims at analysing the existing legal framework of decentralisation and advocating for improved implementation thereof at the local and national level. Project outputs include several publications, including Briefing Papers, Reports and a survey, on the topics of local governance and decentralisation.
The project therefore requires the services of a translator who will be working under the supervision of DRI’s Country Representative to translate publications from English into Arabic and vice versa.
The translator will provide the final documents within an agreed and reasonable deadline. The translation will be validated by DRI before the payment is released.
The timeline and delivery of outputs will be determined in coordination with Lebanon Country Director.
- University degree in Translation or other relevant fields;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic is required;
- Proven translation skills;
- Familiarity with concepts and vocabulary in the area of (local) governance / democratisation / decentralisation is a strong asset;
- Work experience in Lebanon is a requirement.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer.
For interested applicants, please send your application including the following documents to email@example.com
- Cover Letter
- Proven track record, i.e. at least three samples, of translations of political texts or publications on administrative reforms, municipalities etc. both from Arabic to English and vice versa
Please include “Translator (f/m) – Lebanon” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity.
Closing date for applications: 17 April 2017. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.