Title: Translator/Facilitator (AR<->EN)
Project: Support to inclusive and democratic state-building in Libya through capacity building of Libyan CSOs
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
With funding from the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, DRI is implementing a project to continue its support to a coalition of Libyan civil society organisations (CSOs) formed under a previous project. The project’s goal is to continuously involve CSOs in a facts-based and inclusive debate on state-building and foster a culture of dialogue, cooperation and institutional development at the local level. Specifically, the project aims to (1) strengthen the operational capacity of CSOs, (2) help the CSOs expand their outreach through designed joint and individual initiatives, and (3) provide the CSOs with a foundation for their involvement in state-building at the local level.
The Project therefore requires the services of an experienced Translator/Facilitator (AR<->EN) to facilitate the communication between DRI’s English-speaking experts and the Libyan CSO coalition during project workshops and events.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the guidance of DRI’s Libya Country Representative the Translator/Facilitator will support the DRI experts in their communication with the Libyan partners, in particular:
- Translate one-on-one for the experts in their contact with Libyan counterparts;
- Ensure accurate exchange of information;
- Be able to understand the motivation of both DRI and the Libyan partners and interpret the context of discussions and suggest suitable topics for discussion;
- Perform any other related duties, which may be assigned.
Location and/or Travel Plan
The Translator/Facilitator will be deployed for project events in Tunis, with possible remote support if needed.
- A relevant university degree in a related field;
- Relevant experience in the Libyan transition process and familiarity with the Libyan civil society landscape;
- Proven translation and interpretation skills;
- Work experience in Libya and/or the region a distinctive advantage;
- Fluency in English and Arabic;
- Good team player, effective communicator, able to work in a multi-cultural environment.
If you are interested in this assignment, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to [email protected]. Please include “Translator/Facilitator” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity.
Closing date for applications: 15 January 2017. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.