Position Title: Civil Society Expert (Pakistan)
Starting Date: October 2019
Duration: 15 days
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organization registered in Berlin. DRI promotes the political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
Under the “Overcoming shrinking civil society space through effective engagement with parliamentary structures and the media“ project, DRI Pakistan is planning to engage with national parliamentarians and media to discuss the role of Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs)/Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) and how they can effectively assist the socio-economic development of Pakistan in its unique national context. The overall objective of the project is to engage various stakeholders in consultations to understand the role of civil society in the Pakistani context and discuss how an appropriate policy framework can make civil society even more effective in having a meaningful impact on development and state oversight.
In Pakistan, civil society has evolved over the years with periods when the government’s policy has been broadly supportive to periods where the work of CSOs was limited to some extent. Globally, we are seeing a trend in the space for civil society being curbed and the same has been observed in Pakistan in the last few years. There is need to build awareness among various stakeholders on the importance and positive aspects of an active civil society.
DRI is seeking a national expert to develop a briefing paper and information material that will help raise awareness among parliamentarians and other stakeholders on Pakistan’s civil society.
Your duties and responsibilities:
- Conduct research on the role of civil society in Pakistan since 1947;
- Collect data/success stories from various CSOs, including organisations working on human and women rights issues;
- Consult with relevant stakeholders on the contents of the briefing paper;
- Draft a briefing paper and information material based on the research done and data collected.
Qualifications we require:
- University degree in social or political sciences, development studies, law, or other relevant fields;
- At least 5 years of work experience within the development sector in the country;
- Excellent understanding of civil society in general and the issues Pakistani civil society faces in the country;
- In-depth knowledge of the political context of Pakistan, and experience of working with relevant stakeholders including policy makers, media, political leadership and Pakistani civil society;
- Excellent writing and research skills;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Urdu. Knowledge of local languages will be an asset.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter, sample of your writing and CV) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Pakistan: Civil Society Expert (National)” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. Women are encouraged to apply! Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 24 September 2019. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10