Form of Employment: Full-time
Starting Date: January 2020
Duration: until 31 December 2021
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Deadline: 13 January 2020, 12:00 PM local time
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
Since 2016 DRI has been raising awareness and advocating for evidence-based policies that foster good local governance and participatory democracy in Lebanon. The basis for our actions is explained in our Briefing Paper on the State of Play of Decentralisation in Lebanon. DRI has been working with Lebanese civil society organisations and public officials to promote a public debate on local governance and support decentralisation reform. We also support local governance actors and authorities to strengthen their performance in key governance and service delivery areas and promote effective cooperation between national, regional and local government.
DRI is currently recruiting a full-time Communications Officer for its country office in Lebanon to design and implement project communications and a social media strategy across its projects.
Duties and responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of the Country Representative and in close coordination with other DRI Lebanon team members, the Communications Officer will:
- Act as the focal point for communications in the Lebanon Country Office, including coordination with HQ Berlin Communications Coordinator;
- Lead on the implementation and further development of DRI’s communications, strategy and tools, including DRI’s social media tools (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube);
- Report on DRI’s activities and knowledge products in the form of news and feature stories and other content for DRI’s website;
- Develop and maintain media relations (developing media messages, writing press materials and kits, drafting and editing comment pieces, in English and Arabic; developing and maintaining contacts with Lebanon-based and regional media professionals);
- Draft and edit scripts for videos (animation videos, short documentary films) and create visualisations (graphs, icons, charts etc.);
- Collate analytics and metrics on DRI Lebanon communications and submit quarterly analysis reports;
- Act as a gender and diversity focal point in the Lebanon Country Office to ensure gender- and diversity-sensitive project activities and communications;
- Support the production of publications, including editing DRI publications and the preparation of knowledge materials for DRI’s online platforms;
- Support the Programme Unit in the preparation, implementation and follow-up of project activities including support to agenda, invitation letters, participant lists, and evaluation material;
- Support the Country Representative with specific research tasks, such as background research on political developments in the fields relevant to DRI’s work in Lebanon;
- Contribute to internal and donor reporting through writing and researching for weekly, monthly and narrative reports;
- Any other outreach and project activities, as agreed with the Country Representative and DRI HQ.
Qualifications we require:
- University degree in communications, media studies, journalism, political or social science, international development, or other relevant fields;
- At least 2 years of work experience in communications and/or international development/political sector;
- Demonstrates excellent written and verbal communication skills (writing samples will be requested);
- Experience in writing, editing, proof-reading and designing communication outputs in an engaging style for online platforms;
- Experience in managing social media (Facebook, Twitter etc.) both with regards to strategy and implementation;
- Experience working with a Content Management System (CMS) such as WordPress or Drupal;
- Sense of initiative, attention to detail, and creativity in driving DRI’s online and advocacy presence forward;
- Knowledge of governance, democratisation and decentralisation is a strong asset;
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills and ability to work as part of a culturally diverse team and under pressure;
- Proficient IT skills and ability to create visualisations etc. with open source software;
- Fluency in English and Arabic; proven excellent writing and editing skills in English and Arabic are essential prerequisites. Knowledge of French is a distinct asset.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunity employer. Moreover, DRI offers you flexible working hours, training opportunities and working as part of an international and multicultural team.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter, CV including at least three references, and writing samples in both languages, e. g. communication strategies drafted, publications, scripts, press releases, social media content) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Communications Officer” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
The closing date for applications is 13 January 2020, 12:00 PM local time. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10
This position is subject to funding.