Starting Date: October 2020 onwards
Duration: 10 days (approximately)
Location: Home-based/remote; should be available for visits to Islamabad and Lahore.
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a nonpartisan, independent, not-for-profit international organization registered in Berlin, Germany, which promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
With support from the German Federal Foreign Office (GMFA), DRI Pakistan is currently implementing a project entitled “Consolidating Democratic Stability in Pakistan”. The objective of the project is to strengthen local constituencies, both on the governmental and non-governmental side, to consolidate the democratic transition process in Pakistan, specifically with a view to human rights protection and effective, decentralised governance.
DRI is seeking the services of a Human Rights Policy Expert/Consultant to facilitate the Punjab Human Rights and Minorities Affairs Department in review of Punjab Human Rights Policy 2018. The review is broadly aimed to identify key challenges and to pose recommendations to bring improvements in provincial human rights policy design, delivery and oversight.
Duties and responsibilities
The expert will work under the supervision of DRI’s Country Representative and in close coordination with DRI’s Senior Human Rights and Advocacy Expert as per the following tasks:
- Carry out review of Punjab Human Rights Policy 2018 with a view to identify technical issues pertained to contents and processes involved in policy formulation, flaws in arrangements for policy delivery and oversight;
- Ensure that policy review is carried out keeping in view Pakistan’s domestic and international human rights obligations and in conformity with international standards and best practices;
- Facilitate the Punjab Human Rights and Minority Affairs department in assessment of legislative and administrative arrangements to ensure effective implementation on Punjab Human Rights Policy 2018;
- Carry out any other relevant tasks.
- Develop and share policy review document, based on research and assessment, providing a comprehensive roadmap to improve policy formulation, effective implementation and systematic monitoring.
- University degree in human rights/law/international law/social science or equivalent;
- Proven experience of working with national/provincial human rights bodies particularly in the areas of policymaking;
- Sound understanding of international as well as Pakistan’s domestic human rights systems and frameworks;
- Excellent understanding of international standards and best practices of human rights policy design and delivery at national and sub-national levels;
- Excellent research and writing skills, proficient in English and Urdu languages.
The Human Rights Policy Expert/Consultant will primarily work at its own however should be available for periodic visits/meetings with the office bearers of Punjab’s Ministry and Department of Human Rights and Minority Affairs.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to email@example.com. Please include “Human Rights Policy Expert/Consultant” in the subject line. The deadline for applications is 15 October 2020.