Form of Employment: Short Term consultancy contract
Position Title: Local Governance Expert / Support to Electoral Processes and Democracy in Myanmar
Position Location: Yangon and Naypyitaw
Reporting to: DRI Country Representative Myanmar
Contract Period: 4-15 July 2019, approximately 7 working days in country depending on travel schedules
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
DRI is recruiting a Programme Coordinator to support the development and implementation of the European Union- funded STEP Democracy project. STEP Democracy is implemented by a consortium of 9 national and local organisations and works with the Union Election Commission (UEC), political parties and civil society organizations (CSOs), supporting Myanmar’s democratic transition with tailor-made and non-prescriptive programming in line with the unique needs of each electoral stakeholder, promoting dialogue on electoral reforms, human rights and democratic governance.
Objective and Role
The experts will act as resource persons at multi-stakeholder events on local governance and local elections that bring together stakeholders from Myanmar’s state and regions to discuss challenges and opportunities for accountable and representative municipal governance. The experts will each provide a presentation on a case study, moderating a breakout session (together with local facilitators) and participate in a panel discussion.
- University degree in social science, political science, international relations, law, or other relevant field;
- At least 7 years of experience in democratisation, comparative law, decentralisation and/or electoral support.
- Demonstrated experience in local governance, decentralisation and local elections;
- Excellent communication skills and proficiency in oral and written English
- Familiarity with the Myanmar context and/or the constitutional-legal framework for municipal governance will be considered an asset.
DRI values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people from diverse backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply!
Deadline for applications is 31 May 2019. Shortlisted candidates may be contacted before the deadline.
Candidates should submit a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Local Governance Expert’ in the subject line.