Form of Employment: freelance
Starting Date: 10 March 2020
Duration: total of 15 days between 10 March and 30 May 2020
Location: Berlin / Remote Deskwork
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies, and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
DRI strives to provide relevant and timely information on democratic topics and political developments. The organisation’s website plays a critical role in ensuring this. To make DRI’s website more efficient and effective, we wish to improve the usability and attractiveness of our online platform.
DRI is therefore currently recruiting a freelance Web Developer for its Headquarters in Berlin. In collaboration with, and under the supervision of the Communications Coordinator, you will maintain, update and troubleshoot the organisation’s WordPress-based website. You will also help plan the transformation of the website.
You will be tasked with:
- Upgrading the website’s version of WordPress and fixing technical bugs;
- Providing a technical audit of the website and help prepare a needs assessment in collaboration with the Communications Coordinator;
- Assisting in preparing technical specifications for the next iteration of the website, evaluating potential providers, and advising DRI on technical matters;
- Other relevant duties, as required.
You will deliver:
- An updated version of WordPress for the DRI website;
- Solutions to technical glitches as directed, or suitable alternatives;
- Written technical advice as necessary;
- Technical documentation on all resolved tasks and developments.
Your Skills and Experience:
- University degree in information technology, computer science, web development or related field; additional experience can compensate for university degree;
- Three or more years’ relevant professional experience in IT project management and development, notably working with WordPress and other relevant content management systems;
- Meticulous attention to detail, good analytical skills, and development in accordance with industry best practices and W3C standards;
- Ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple tasks to meet aggressive deadlines and experience working as part of a team;
- Familiarity with code preprocessors (e.g. SASS) and task automator workflows (e.g. Grunt);
- Experience with managing webhosts (inc. SSH);
- Experience working with civil society, public or international organizations;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Fluency in English (written and oral).
What We Offer:
DRI offers you a consultancy with flexible working hours and the opportunity to work in a diverse team in the heart of Berlin, where everybody is on first name terms with each other.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should submit their applications HERE, including:
- CV of the applicant, highlighting relevant experience and qualifications and providing references of at least 2 previous clients/employers whom the applicant supported on similar assignments;
- At least 2 samples of previous work illustrating your experience;
- Your daily fee (8 hours per day):
- Price offer in € net and
- Price offer in € gross (including all levies and taxes as applicable)
Please note that any costs for travel to Berlin should be included in the daily fee.
Closing date for applications: 1 March 2020 (23:59 CEST). The position may be filled before the deadline has been reached, so early applications are encouraged.
DRI is committed to diversity and does not discriminate in employment based upon gender (including pregnancy), race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, ability, socio-economic status, or any other status protected by the laws in the locations where we operate.
The submission for this tender document does not entail any commitment on the part of DRI, either financial or otherwise.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10