Position title: National Expert- Legislation Advisor (Pakistan)
Starting date: October 2021
Duration: Up to 15 working days
Location: Desk work with travel to Islamabad and Provincial Capitals
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
In an ongoing project titled “Strengthening Media Freedom and Civic Space in Pakistan,” DRI Pakistan is planning to engage with parliamentarians and government bodies to streamline the process of CSO registration and modulation. The overall objective of the project is to work with the government to create a conducive environment for civil society and media.
DRI seeks the services of a legislation advisor to provide technical support and inputs to the project team on the legal framework around civic space in Pakistan and engage with relevant high-level stakeholders to address any identified issues.
The expert will work under the direct supervision of DRI Programme Coordinator / CSO Coordination and coalition Expert, with overall supervision of DRI’s Country Representative. Primarily, this will be a home-based, desk-review assignment with need-based travel to Islamabad and the four provincial capitals. The expert will be required to deliver the following tasks:
- Conduct desk review of the Federal and Provincial level CSO laws.
- Work closely with DRI Team including the parliamentary engagement experts and develop strategic partnerships for parliamentary and government engagement.
- If required, conduct briefings and provide technical advice to relevant policy makers and officials for effective implementation of the Acts/Laws.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with stakeholders. Show progressive development towards issue identification and then graduating the debate leading to action (amendments in laws/rules) through engagement with policy makers and government making sure the whole campaign and engagements are well-knit, coherent and goal-oriented.
Qualifications we require:
- A university degree in Public Policy/Development Studies/ Human Rights/ International Law or equivalent;
- At least 10 years' experience of engaging/working with public institutions and senior politicians;
- Excellent understanding of Pakistan’s democratic and human rights laws, policies and systems, specifically in purview of the country’s relevant international obligations;
- Demonstrated experience in working with parliamentary structures, government entities, civil society actors and other stakeholders on public policy issues especially in the areas of democratic and human rights reforms;
- Excellent communication, research and writing skills;
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to [email protected]. Please include “Pakistan: Legislation Advisor” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 7 October 2021. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
12045 Berlin, Germany