Position title: National Expert- Review of Law and legal drafting (Pakistan)
Starting date: October 2021
Duration: Up to 15 working days
Location: Home-based/remote; should be available for visits to Islamabad and Provincial Capitals
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
In an ongoing project titled “Strengthening Media Freedom and Civic Space in Pakistan,” DRI Pakistan is planning to engage with parliamentarians and government bodies to streamline the process of CSO registration and modulation. The overall objective of the project is to work with the government to create a conducive environment for civil society and media.
DRI seeks the services of a legal drafting expert/consultant to provide technical support to the parliamentarians and the government at the federal and provincial levels to draft stakeholder’s proposed amendments in laws (if required)/ rules for CSO laws.
The expert will work under the direct supervision of DRI Programme Coordinator / CSO Coordination and coalition Expert, with overall supervision of DRI’s Country Representative. Primarily, this will be a home-based, desk-review assignment with need-based travel to Islamabad and the four provincial capitals. The expert will be required to deliver the following tasks:
- Review the Federal and Provincial level civil society laws and draft any proposed amendments/ rules and regulations required for carrying out the purpose of the Acts based on consultations with stakeholders;
- Work closely with DRI Team, officials of the relevant departments and other stakeholders and draft amendments/ rules in consultation with them;
- Work closely with Government Ministries/Departments and other stakeholders regarding policy and drafting instructions
Qualifications we require:
- A university degree in Law/Public Policy/Human Rights/ International Law or equivalent;
- At least 8 years experience of legislative drafting;
- Excellent understanding of Pakistan’s democratic and human rights laws, policies and systems, specifically in purview of the country’s relevant international obligations;
- Demonstrated experience in working with parliamentary structures, government entities, civil society actors and other stakeholders on public policy issues especially in the areas of democratic and human rights reforms;
- Excellent communication, research and writing skills;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Urdu.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Pakistan: Review of law and legal drafting Expert” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 7 October 2021. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
12045 Berlin, Germany
To find out more about the requirements for this position, please download the full procurement notice available in English below