Position Title: Legal Reforms Expert
Duration: The dates for the mission are approximately 18 May until 25 May
Location: The Legal Reforms Expert will work from the DRI’s Country Office in Yangon, with travel to other locations as appropriate
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is implementing the EU-funded project, STEP to Democracy – Support to Electoral Processes and Democracy in Myanmar, leading the programme component on civil society and support to CSO partners to develop their advocacy and monitoring capacities in the democratic reform process. More specifically, this programme component supports civil society organisations on legal framework analysis and electoral reforms advocacy, while also working with civil society and other stakeholders on key aspects of broader democratic governance.
Objective of this assignment
DRI is currently recruiting a Legal Reforms Expert to support civil society in a legal analysis of election laws and to provide insight into comparative experiences on electoral-legal drafting. The Expert will also support the DRI Myanmar team in the design of a one-day workshop on the drafting of legal reforms.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the DRI Country Representative, the Legal Reforms Expert will be tasked with the following deliverables:
- Design and deliver a two-day training for civil society organisations on legal analysis and review of election laws
- Support DRI’s election observation partners in their own legal reviews
- Act as a resource person at an evening roundtable on constituency delimitation, based on a forthcoming DRI publication
- Support the DRI Myanmar team in the design and delivery of a one-day legal reforms workshop (The Reforms Lab) with civil society organisations, reviewing legislation and proposing amendments on constituency delimitation
Education and Qualifications
- Relevant academic qualifications, preferably a graduate degree in law, but also in political science, social science, or a related field
- At least 10 years of experience in legal analysis, election observation and technical assistance on electoral reforms
- Experience delivering trainings on legal review or legislative drafting related to electoral frameworks
- Able to explain complex issues in simple language, as evidenced by previous publications or presentations (please include list or samples in application)
- Experience working with civil society organisations, government, and parliamentarians in countries in transition
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to convey complex messages to non-expert audience required
For interested applicants, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to email@example.com with “Legal Reforms Expert (Myanmar)” as the subject heading and supporting documents in the following format: SURNAME_FIRSTNAME_DOCUMENTNAME.
Closing date for applications: 3rd April 2017. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.